Lochsa Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ray, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Fished/Floated the Lochsa on Saturday. Put in at MM 127.5 (Dead Mule Flats) and took out at Fish Creek. Several excellent class 3 and 4 rapids. Lots of bugs coming off, including salmon flies, stones, and a variety of mayflies. It was pretty novel to fish with helmets and drysuits, and so totally worth it. We landed over 20 fish each, several of which were 15-18" class cutties. We mostly fished river left, leaving the highway side to the vehicle bound fishermen.

2. Sounds fun! Were you in a raft or kayaks? Did you stop to fish, or fish while moving?
    D

3. I was in a 13' Maravia Spider. Our most productive fishing was while pulled over, but I think that was just because we got more casts in per foot of fishable water when pulled over.

4. Ray, nice report. Do those class 3 and 4 rapids drop down to 2 and 3 with lower water in the summer?

5. I love that river! One of the most over looked, in comparison to those around it.

6. Wilderness Gateway to Fish Creek drops to class II at low flows. Above that, the bigger rapids like Ten Pin Alley , No-see-um, and Logjam get really boney and very tough to run, but the water slows WAY down. It's possible to do short little runs with fish cats between pull-outs and avoid the rapids. Regardless of flow, I consider it a whitewater river and always wear my pfd.

7. How do you secure your rods while running water like that... break down and back in the tubes? Thanks for the report; that is a really cool river.

8. The guy up front held the rods during the big rapids. If he went for a swim or we flipped, it could have sucked. That was the main reason we chose the section we did. Lots of good fishable water and more negotiable rapids. I wouldn't hesitate to do a Fish Creek to Split Creek fishing trip, but I would do so with my crappy rods.

9. in about a month the fishing will be great, but dont go in august,cuz all the big fish are gone. mikew