Lock jawed Pinks, Really?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Provider, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Hi Guys,

I've been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I started fishing Washington 20 years ago with a focus on fly fishing and gradually moved over to gear fishing. Recently, i have been gravitating back to fly fishing and found my self here. I sure do appreciate all the knowledge on this site.

I was on a PS river yesterday that has pinks coming in. The lower portion was heavily trafficked so I made my way up river. I found a section of water that was swarming with pinks.

They were bright and they were everywhere, in the soft water and in the rifles, along the bank and right next to the boat. I had someone with me that had never caught a salmon on a fly rod and thought to myself, today will be his day. They were porpoising on the water and I do not know why they do this, any opinions here?

Guess what, no takers, no line bumps other than fish running into the indicator on the surface. We threw a variety of flies, mostly with pink, some weighted for jiggy action, we used floating line, sink tip, intermediate sink.

Further up river we came across some guys that caught 3 on a blue fox.

I have never had a problem catching pinks before, why did this happen, Why?

2. Low pressure system coming on heavy today can do strange things to fish

3. Try running through the color spectrum, then change retrieve speeds, then change fly profile / depth / size.

If they aren't reacting favorably to pink / cerise, my next color choices are white/silver, green/gold, and grey/silver.

In my experience, pinks don't really "lockjaw" - they just get really picky some times.

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  4. Are you sure they weren't silvers? Where I was there were big pods of silvers, and guys catching nothing who would not be convinced that they weren't pinks, even when I showed them the silvers that I got. It's getting pretty late for pinks.

5. caught a chrome pink in the lower Snoho this morning and a few small schools were moving upriver. They are still being caught in the salt as well, but nunbers are diminishing.

6. They were definitely Pinks, I've never seen Silvers with humps. Although it is possible it was a mixture but I doubt it.

7. Yeah ,
    sometimes fish that have been in the pool for awhile are just that lock jawed the above posters put it pretty right ,sometimes I go to a smaller fly ,show them something different , also too pinks and chums are best caught closer to tide water as they start to change inside real quick in the river, I caught 1 at the mouth of the sultan the other day still fairly bright and a good scrapper gave my backing some exercise. when I opened him up however he was just borderline for the smoker, so next week will be my last foray for pinks before moving on to silvers smitty

8. The hump is a good clue isn't it!

9. actually they were silvers in pink disguise :p I mean we all hate pinks right?:eek: keep chucking it at em

10. I should add that I have found heavily weighted, pink and purple flies in size 2-6 with a fair bit of flash to work well. Cast out, let sink, and retrieve with a "micro strip" consisting of 3-4" rapid strips. The micro strip works great for less aggressive fish.

11. Forward weighted pink fly in size 2 or 4 with some flash and a light sink tip has killed it for me on the Skykomish this year. Just like Ten80 said, cast out, let it sink, then "jig" it back with short strips and a pause in between. The pinks love smashing it on the descent, even when they are humped up. I've even hooked a few on purple and orange steelhead flies on the swing.

If you've never had a problem catching them before, blame it on the full moon or the big change in barometric pressure from Sunday's storm. Both can put fish off a bite for a couple days.

12. with the new rain they heading up to spill wild oats

13. I guess their reproductive biology favors spill over sow. Next few days may be the last of the fresh pinks moving upriver from the salt as the rivers come down.