looking for a 7 wgt switch rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by shorthair15, Nov 11, 2013.

1. shorthair15 New Member

kelso, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    im looking for a 7 wgt switch rod for fishing for steelhead. was going to use it for two handed casting and throwing poly leaders and t-11 for sink tips. was wondering what may be a few good rods to try. thanks
  2. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +441 / 0
    I use a 7 wt echo sr for those purposes and think it's dandy.
  3. greenriver Member

henderson ,KY
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    check the classified forum for the Redington Prospector Switch 7 weight I have listed. I am casting a 475 gr skagit
    short on the same model and really like it. The Prospector are light and crisp. They are several reviews online.
  4. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +449 / 0
    the echo is fantastic
  5. Andy D Member

Des Moines, Wa
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    the other day I saw a sage z-axis 7110 on the classifieds for a good price a few days ago. That is my favorite rod. I have caught winter steel head to 17-18 lbs, silvers, and chums, and never felt under gunned. I line it with a 425 short and can cast t-14 and moderately weighted flies. for summer fishing I use a 385 scandi with poly leaders
  6. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    The echo's are great for the money. But, if you're looking to spend a bit more dough, look at a Meiser.
    Chris Banta likes this.
  7. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I would second looking at a Redington---I don't have a prospector but I have a fishing friend who does and it is a dandy---I like my CPX 7 wt. and so long as you don't ever pick up a Sage One you will be happy with one just like it.
  8. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +468 / 1
    Depends on your price range. I've messed around with switches from about every manufacturer a lot in the last couple years and my hands down favorites are the sage TCX switches everyone of them is a classic in my eyes. Much different animal than the 7126 deathstar. And at 11' 9" it really is just a short Spey rod and an absolute pleasure to fish. They are so light and effortless to cast and fish it's just silly. 5 stars. The whole line is on close out so its easy to find one south of $600 brand spankin new. And a used one $400-500.

For less money, same great warranty the Redington prospectors are awesome! Super impressed with the 7 and 8wts I've cast. I don't dig the echo sr much but that's my personal opinion lots of people do love em tho. The echo 3 was a great stick also but for a little more you are in the TCX ballpark and that stick is the Cinnamon toast crunch of switches. IMHO
  9. Chedster New Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    TCX 8119 is my fav-do-all stick for the Northwest. Handles heavy tips in the winter and throws a scandi in the summer. It's just so light in your hand and does not fatigue like my other rods. I'll be putting my Redington Prospector 8119 for sale soon pretty cheap. Great rod but I got a killer deal on the TCX I couldn't pass up.
  10. macSuibhne Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    If you had a chance to cast / fish the Beulah Platinum 7wt. I think you'd love it immediately.
    Matthew LeBret likes this.
  11. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    I own/fish a Platinum 7wt switch and love everything about it. My money would go to a meiser S2H11078-4 switch or the Platinum. Both rods are capable of tossing out what ever you would need
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    I can get you a smokin' deal on a new ST. Croix Imperial 7 wt. switch and a reel if you need a nice match.
  13. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    The Beulah Classic Switch is on sale for $279 through Caddis Fly Shop. You can get this is either the 6/7 or 7/8 models. Seems like a smoking deal for that rod.
  14. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    i am also looking at picking up a 7 or 8 weight. mostly for late fall/winter/early spring river fishing.
    have a $300 gift card to cabela's. so any stick they stock that will work is what i plan on getting.
    have seen echo, sage and TFO there. maybe an Echo ?
    not sure.
  15. soundflycaster Member

Mossyrock, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I have TFO switch rods and have brought alot of fish to hand with them. Good balance of quality for the dollar spent. The tapers are consistent from the 4 to 8WT. I throw both Scandi and Skagit heads comfortably along with poly leaders and T-11. Good small water rods.