Looking for a Cabelas 7' 4/5 WT C.G.R.

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by james.jimenez, Jun 30, 2013.

1. I posted this in the classified section as well, but thought I may also get a response here.

Just looking to see if anyone has one of these and willing to let it go for cheap?? Cabelas 7' 4/5 WT C.G.R....

2. If others have been as happy with theirs as I have been with mine, you won't find too many for sale at any price!

Dick

3. I currently own the Cabelas 5'9" 3WT.. Do you own just the Cabelas 4/5WT or others as well?

4. I have the 7'0" 4/5 wt, which has become my small water go-to rod, and the 7'6" 5/6 wt. I haven't used the latter much, but bought it for my grandson, who is still a little small for fly fishing.
    D

5. Yeah I really want a 4/5 weight rod.. I found one that someone is selling but they want $100 for it. The price seems a little steep to me since I purchased 2 x Three weight rods Four $30. Granted I did find both bods in the bargain Cave of Cabela's.. I am hoping that all of these rods have the same type of action, do both your rods feel the same when you cast them?

6. James -
    I suspect they all have similar action. The two I have seem to be very similar in that respect.

I decided against going with the really light rod and was glad I had the 4/5 wt when I hooked an 18" cutt on a small stream with lots of underwater obstacles in Montana two summers ago. I needed to be able to apply some pressure to land the fish. On the forks of the Snoqualmie, the 3wt might be perfect.

I think these rods will hold their value. Now that they are no longer available, new, or like-new, rods will continue to sell for near $100, which was their original price, if I recall correctly.

D

7. Do you use glass rods a lot? Do most glass rods have the action that the Cabela's C.G.R. have? Would you know of another glass rod that has similar action? I am currently trying to buy the 4/5WT from craiglist but may have hit a bump in the transaction.... POOP

8. It sounds like the newer CGT rods have a faster action than the older CGr model, and that the CGR is a pretty typical glass action.

9. CGR series (the first series with green blanks) are supposedly very typical glass action - medium (for glass) if you use the higher of the two rated lines. The CGT is indeed supposedly a step quicker, but don't expect it to overlap into the realm of medium action graphite. It will still be a step or two slower.

10. James -

Lugan certainly knows glass rods much better than I do. I own and enjoy these two, but otherwise have little experience with glass rods. I've cast a couple of very old (e.g., 50 yrs or so) glass rods and find them much less enjoyable to cast.

D

11. I am sitting here at the computer with my CGR 7'6" 5/6 weight rod in my lap. I acquired it 4 or 5 weeks ago at the Cabela's in Lacey, Washington. A friend of mine brought a 3/4 weight rod a week earlier for about $60. I wasn't looking to buy a rod when I went in the store but when I was told the sale price ($30) I grabbed it and never looked back. I have used it a couple of times and enjoy it. But then I enjoy every rod I have including the ones I haven't built yet. Best of luck finding one.

12. Lacey is where I picked up my 3WT. I actually grabbed two of them.. They were the last CGR's in the barrel.. I found one on Craigslist but the deal fell through.. POOP!!! So I am back to square one..

13. I'm so jealous you guys got those rods for $30. I've heard really good things about them.

14. FINALY HOT MY HANDS ON A CABELA'S CGR 4WT!!!!!!!!!

anti.team likes this.
  15. james, I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
    D

16. Just received my 4WT in the mail.. Just my luck all the river in my area are BLOWN WAY OUT!!! Only good news with all this rain is that I get to cast my new rod on the new Lacey River on Ruddle ST....

17. COULDN'T WAIT TO GET IT ON THE WATER!!! image.jpg image.jpg

18. the CGR is a seriously sweet series. too bad they screwed it up by "upgrading" to the CGT.

I love my 6'6" 4wt CGR, not the best finish in the world, but it sure is a sweet fishing tool.