Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a WA fishing resort

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jawon 
#1 ·
I've got about 5 beginner anglers visiting Seattle and we're looking for an overnight fishing trip in WA. Ideally, we'd like to get beginner fly fishing instruction, a quiet lodge for the non-fishing spouses and toddlers, and basically a relaxing getaway with a nice scenery for the family. I've found plenty of guides and plenty of lodges, but not many "resorts" that provide both. Any recommendations? :dunno

#4 ·
Sun mountain out near winthrop is pretty (really) nice. I think they have folks that guide on the Methow or area lakes. They also have a private lake which supposedly has nice fish. Although if you get the chance to support the smaller outfits, like the "life is but a dream" mentioned above, in my opinion that would be the way to go. Have fun!
:beer2

#5 ·
I agree with ****** on Life is but a Dream and David Childs.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

#7 ·
Have you heard of Freestone Inn? They have nice lodging and facilities. If you stay there, you have free access to their fly fishing-only C&R lake. The lake is considered part of their amenities, which are all free to lodgers. Guide service to the Methow Valley region is available through Mazama Fly Shop. I had a nice experience with an older guy named John Cook. The lodge will place your reservation with the fly shop. Both Freestone and Mazama Fly Shop have websites. Freestone also has cabins, in case you want a little extra privacy. My time there was excellent. The fish in their lake were of good size, and I was able to sight cast to them. Just be careful with the weed beds. The fish like to nose-in, so you have to break off.

From Freestone's location just west of Winthrop, you can find your way to all kinds of locations. If you get skunked, you can always take it out on the Inn's fish at the end of the day.

#9 ·
Thanks all. I looked into Grandmas Lake and spoke to the owners David and Jaclyn. They seem super nice and even juggled around their schedule for us when I told them that our group was from out of town and had an inflexible schedule. Although we couldn't get things to work out , just wanted to share that they seem like one of those old-time, personal service-oriented, intimate outfits, much unlike the more commercial, impersonal resorts you may run into. Will definitely keep them in mind for future trips. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.