Looking to head East for a week of fly fishing.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Javabean, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Looking for a few good river/creek tips for next week. Eyeballing Naches, Teanaway. Curious about flows and snow levels. Any input is appreciated.

2. The moving water you mentioned may be a little high for easy wading. I usually wait a bit loinger before hitting the Naches area. I know, not much help.

MB

3. Hey Javabean,

Most of the water is on the high side as Scott mentioned. This link http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/ is where I have been going to see what the water levels are like. There is also some great info on the Evening Hatch website http://www.theeveninghatch.com/yak/yakima.htm specifically about the Yakima. Good luck with your search and shoot me a PM when you are planning to be on this end. If I have the time I could show you around.

R.

4. Naches: Check the report on Red's Fly Shop website. They pretty much nailed what I found on Friday. Water is clear but a bit too high to cross or get very far out wading. The guides are still floating which always tells me it is still a bit too tough to wade for this old guy. Coming down though and might be nicer by the weekend.

Steve

5. There are a couple of US Bureau of Reclamation gauges on the Teanaway:
    [​IMG]
    USGS/USBR Stream Flow Gauge:
    TEANAWAY RIVER BELOW LAMBERT ROAD

And,
    [​IMG]
    TEANAWAY RIVER AT FORKS NEAR CLE ELUM, WA

The Teanaway does hold a few decent size residents, but in my experience for the most part you'll be handling a lot of juvenile fish. While I had my excursions to check it out, it's not really on my list any more because of how many salmon smolt and fry hit the flies. I think about the biggest bow I've landed was 13-inches.

The Naches has a downstream gauge near the city of Naches on the main stem:
    [​IMG]
    NACHES RIVER NEAR NACHES,WA.

And, there are gauges on the Little Naches (pretty fun stream):
    [​IMG]
    LITTLE NACHES RIVER NEAR NILE, WA

And, one more on the American River (which becomes The Naches after the LIttle Naches joins it):
    [​IMG]
    AMERICAN RIVER NEAR NILE, WA

It will be helpful for your future excursions into these areas to make a note in your journal as to what the flows were, and how the fishing and wading was at those levels. I find myself referring back to my journal entries regularly, not only to get an idea for myself if I can't remember any more, but also to answer questions for folks on the forums here. I think the journal entry I find myself referring back to the most is the Cedar River entry from June 6, 2006 on the Cedar River when it was cookin' with gas at 950 CFS... http://fishing.smarttripmap.com/Home/SharedJournal/a998aa4f-97c6-4299-b32d-ba52409afcc0

Hope these help. Good luck following little blue lines out there!

6. Hey Jim,
    Thats quite the interesting app. Thanks for sharing.

R.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  7. Thanks fellas. Decided to head for the North Cascades instead.