Looks like one retailer's finally had enough of being undercut by Costco...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alosa, Aug 6, 2013.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

What sage ought to do is gather a 60 Washington guys to all go into Costco, buy a rod, and "accidentally" break a tip in the parking lot. I heard Costco has a great warranty program.

2. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

Does Costco sell the entire line of Sage? If not, I cant imagine how this would have such a huge impact. I thought they were just selling a couple of thier lower end disounted rods. While this may sway some to buy that particular rod(s), I would think most people who wanted a quality rod would go to an established fly shop - not Costco.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I wonder why Leland didn't get an erection when Sage offered their previously-discontinued XP line through Cabela's?

The economy's been hard on a lot of folks, especially those connected with very discretionary recreational industries such as ours. Everybody's scrambling to make a buck, including Leland. Although it seems a bit to me like cutting off one's nose to spite their face, maybe they've got a better idea how to make money than by selling Sage products.

K

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I never like Lelands much anyway. Nothing lost here from my point of view. I will still buy Sage rods almost exclusively. Far as I am concerned Sage is the best fly rod out there, hands down. Lelands, not so much.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

If any one here has been following Leland they have been discounting sage rods. For many months they have been offering top line sage rods at 20% off. Now it is 30 percent. Not sure what is all going on but sometimes they act like the sierra nevada trading store with certain brands etc. Buy bulk and discount??? Not sure about the red truck stuff either....many mixed reviews, and hard to know what interests the reviewers have in many cases. Stick to what is known....G.Loomis GLX, Sage XP, and etc.

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

bingo, and i have to laugh that they will continue (possibly) to do business with the company that owns sage by selling rio and redington.

if i was farbank and saw this bullshit, i would pull rio and redington from leland.

7. Kent Lufkin

The economy has likely been just as hard on Far Bank as anybody else. Pulling Rio and Redington from Leland makes no better sense than Leland dumping Sage. Talk about cutting off one's nose . . . On the other hand, stranger shit has happened.

K

dflett68 likes this.
  8. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Exactly.

I thought they were wacko when they put out their line of hardy marquis look-a-like reels and originally advertised them as "$199.00...compare to $399.00"

9. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Leland is kind of in a strange place though as far as distributors go, they are not as big as a cabelas or bass pro shop that probably move quite a bit of Far Bank stuff. Yet they are more than just a fly shop in that they have their own labeled stuff that they probably push quite hard and make a larger margin on.

I am not sure how much losing them will hurt Sage, most people that fish Sage\Rio are likely going to get it elsewhere other than switch just because Leland said so. Then again in a niche market you never know where loyalties lie until it is to late :confused:

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

I have no idea whether or not there's anything to this, but I heard (forget where) that Sage has developed a new type of carbonized metal plasma tri-directionalized graphene rod they're going to call their Red Rig line. Look for it late August 2014.

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

We need another orginized protest of some kind, The people are getting restless....

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

We could protest humpies and the people that fish for them.

Patrick Allen and Bob Triggs like this.
  13. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Usually much less!! I got both of my hand rolled (by the man himself) Steffen Brothers glass rods for less than retail on a single new top of the line Sage or Winston or Scott...and I definitely consider them top of the line...

Lugan likes this.
  14. PT

PT Physhicist

:)

15. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Leland burns bridges and is more than happy about it, even proud of it. From staff to vendors, reap what you sow.

If they discounted 30% per the email of today, it would still be cheaper to buy at Costco. Haven't heard of any 99's near the frozen pizza lately?? Maybe Sage cut em off due to volume or quotas not being met since they began pimping their own goods and another Euro brand.

Either way bad pub' isn't gaining you my business.

16. wmicklus

wmicklus Member

So does Leland's ad qualify as an official declaration of war or what?

17. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I wonder if Val Atkinson knows that they are using his image for their sales ad?

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Member

The rumor in the industry (I've heard it from several shop owners) is that Sage dropped Leland for continually discounting rods. That ad is the most appalling thing I have seen from a fly shop. Beyond that, they are lying to their own customers. This is very sad since Sage did the right thing in dropping them. All shops are expected to play by the same rules and its good to know that repeat offenders don't get away with it even if they are one of the largest dealers in the country.

Porter, dflett68, gabe0430 and 2 others like this.
  19. Kent Lufkin

at least they gave him a credit line!

K

20. scottr

scottr Active Member

Leland is in California, we should be buying our fly gear from local fly shops like Creekside Angling, Patrick's, Puget Sound Fly Company, Orvis, Reds, etc. They are owned locally and/or employ locals.

Greg Price and Alex MacDonald like this.