Looks like one retailer's finally had enough of being undercut by Costco...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alosa, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Kirk Estlick

Kirk Estlick Active Member

This is the same rumor I have heard! It's not as much of a rumor as hints from the people my shop does business with! Good for Sage!

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I won't be burning my Costco card soon and I'll continue to buy Sage products as well.

3. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

This.

aplTyler likes this.
  4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I also heard from a very reliable source that Sage dropped Leland earlier this year for running a sale on their rods.

5. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Exactly.

Both are great Washington companies that pump money into our local economy by creating WA jobs. I have and will continue to support them both.

constructeur and dflett68 like this.
  6. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Such a lame email from Leland. I think I've ordered one line there in the past 4 years, but I won't be going back.

7. scottr

scottr Active Member

Quoting myself to be clear that my statements above are not anti-Costco. We shop there weekly, they are a great local company that treats its employees very well.

When it comes to buying a new Echo or Sage fly rod, I'll be going to see Pete at Creekside even if it means I have to spend a few more bucks than if I bought it online or from a big box store.

rymo and Stonefish like this.
  8. John Weston

John Weston Member

I say support your locals. that's all. tight lines. ;)

Outlaw

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Lelands? Never heard of `em, and (probably like OMJ, could care less about `em). If I need something, I'll head for Ellensburg, or the canyon.

FinLuver and scottr like this.
  10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

The line has been drawn in the sand

11. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

to me this touches on my sympathies, as a business person, for both sage and leland, and for that matter, costco. if sage is dropping them for discounting, that's the right thing to do and it indicates sage defending their own best interests and those of their other, MAP compliant distributors. the problem is, they have no such leverage with costco (so i sympathize with sage on that level), but costco has done nothing illegal (so i sympathize with their right to compete and their high level of competence). in order to maintain order and their business model, sage has no choice but to hold all of the other dealers, including leland, to what is now uncompetitive MAP pricing at least on whatever costco is selling (which makes me sypathize with both sage and the dealers). to me the end result is basically that sage takes a hit in terms of good will with their dealer community, but this has little real impact if you are the undisputed industry leader. the real financial hit goes to the dealers. and as such i sympathize with the human reaction of one of those dealers lashing out by violating MAP to try to stay competitive, and further lashing out with the ad when they got disciplined by sage. i expect its a move that will bear bad fruit for them, as most rash acts do in any kind of relationship, but i do feel for them and i kindof like the spunk they showed in breaking MAP because it was sage's fault they ended up competitively exposed by the costco thing.

to me, the only party that can really prevent all this mess is sage, because they have to take responsibility for who they sell their stuff to, and they have repeatedly jumped in the sack and had unprotected sex with someone they really didn't know well enough. i agree they are an important local company, make an industry leading product, and by all accounts are good people too. but as an outsider, on the surface, it looks like it is their incompetence in some aspects of their supplier management which has led to these repeated escapes of inventory, and the dealers pay the highest price. the ONLY sustainable and tenable solution is for them to get better at it and prevent the escape of inventory into unauthorized channels. penalizing end users or dealers will never solve this.

12. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Occupy Brown's Point?

Occupy Pink?

Just brainstorming here...

bennysbuddy and KerryS like this.
  13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

All true and a very insightful analysis. Yet the one thing missing from any of this discussion so far in this thread is the role Sage plays in continually setting the high bar for price.

Maybe the news travels slowly across the water to Bainbridge Island, but the US has been in a recession for the last 4-5 years with unemployment rates only now beginning to return to pre-recession levels. Unemployment in narrower age, racial or geographic subcategories is still as high as 25%. I know several folks with substantial skills and experience whose unemployment checks ran out last year.

Yet Sage is asking $1325.00 for a Method Elite with what seems like a straight face. Really?

Smack me if maybe I'm missing something obvious, but aside from the rare software zillionaire, I can't imagine how many real people are gonna spend that kind of money for a brand-new, tubular plastic rod.

It seems to me that Sage is being more than a tad unrealistic about the market for their products. IMHO, to the extent that they push the upper end of the price envelope, they end up doing themselves and their retail partners a disservice by creating unfulfillable expectations.

K

John Hicks likes this.
  14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

[​IMG]

15. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Member

It seems like you may be focusing all your energy on the ultra-premium rods that Sage has. Keep in mind that their least expensive rod is under $300 and performs better than top end rods from 5 years ago. There are plenty of people out there that have enough money to spend on premium rods, and they will continue to demand the newest technology and functionality. For those of us who would never spend that much on a rod, there are very good rods available from Sage that cost much less.

This also leaves out the fact that Sage and Redington are owned by the same parent company and the new technology Sage uses gets passed down to Redington. The Pursuit series from Redington are incredible fishing tools for the approximately $100 price tag.

It's also interesting to me that many on here complain about Sage pricing so much. I don't think anybody complains about the exorbitant pricing of a BMW because they are more expensive than most people can afford.

16. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

If someone has the means to purchase a $1,325.00 fly rod, then so be it. Some folks also like to drive 100K Mercedes as well.
    Does a $2,700-$3,000 Winston bamboo fly rod get a pass just because it is bamboo?
    I'm sure they've done their research and there is a market for rods of that value.
    It is easy to focus on the highest end model, but I believe Sage has done a good job over the years of offering a wide variety of rod models. They've offered most anglers the ability to own a Sage should they choose to.
    Combine that with Far Bank's Redington brand and brands such as TFO and Echo, I don't think we've ever had it so good as far as gear choices.
    Nearly every angler can now acquire a very functional outfit to fit their budget.
    SF

Nick Clayton and Matt Paluch like this.
  17. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Kent - The purpose of a $1300 plastic rod in any company's list of products is at least as much about positioning the overall "Sage" brand as it is selling that model. Having the most expensive high-tech rod on the market helps them sell every other rod in the market because it helps position Sage as "the best". Many fishermen will then feel good about owning any Sage, even one at the lowest end of their range.

Salmo_g, Tim Cottage and Kent Lufkin like this.
  18. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Of course you're all right about how Sage's high price rod offering sets the tone for the company's technology and reputation, just like how fielding a Forumla 1 car sets the tone for Ferrari.

I consider myself duly smacked!

K

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Given Sage sells more rods than pretty much anyone else out there, I'd venture to say that they might know a thing or two about their markets.

20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm in!!!