Loomis GLX Classic Versus NRX

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ausable, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Ausable

Ausable Member

I have always been a Sage and Winston guy but have been curious about Loomis rods. I have friends who still view the GLX classic rods as good as any out there but am wondering how do they compare to the newer NRX models (without the marketing spin)?

Thanks

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    That's a great question! As a big-time fan of the GLX classic sticks (a 5, 6, and 8 are in my quiver, and I wish I had more), I found myself wondering that same question.

I had an NRX, a 6 weight. I found the NRX, in that 6 weight at least, to have more butt section than my classic GLX. Comparing the two, the GLX had more of a "progressive" action than the NRX; it flexed more uniformly down the rod blank, under load, than the NRX. Because of the (relatively) larger disparity in stiffness between the tip an the butt section, to me the NRX was definitely the 'faster' action. The NRX was the 'sturdier' rod, of the two.

WIth that said, I didn't want to keep two, and I still have my GLX and no longer own the NRX. :) Personal preference. HOWEVER, if the two had been 8 weights, things might have ended up differently...hard to say! I probably would have just had another rod in the quiver.

Porter and Kent Lufkin like this.
  3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Mr. E, how many rods are you up to now? Inquiring minds want to know!

K

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Not as many as you, but I'm working on it!

Porter, Gary Knowels and Kent Lufkin like this.