Loomis NRX Salmon & Steelhead Rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chicago Flyfisherman, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Chicago Flyfisherman Member

Chicago, IL
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Has anyone fished with these rods? I'm not talking about the NRX, which I've seen reviewed a number of times. I talking specifically about these rods:
    G Loomis NRX Salmon & Steelhead Fly Rods
    I have a Loomis GLX Native Run 10'8 weight. I felt it was more of a Steelhead rod rather than a King Salmon rod. So I've bought a couple of others since this purchase, including a 9 weight Sage ONE, which is a powerful beaut. This Native Run just didn't seem to have the guts to turn fish (Kings) to me. It is a fine casting rod, and a nice 8 weight Steelhead rod, but not a rod I'm in love with for Kings - hence the 9 weight ONE.
    BUT, I'm intrigued with this NRX technology and the fact that this rod appears on paper to have more backbone than the GLX. And I can buy a 10' 9 weight as a specialty rod for nymphing 25# Kings, which I do with regularity when targeting them.
    Any thoughts are appreciated. There is not much out there on these that I've found.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
  2. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    I'd move up to a 10-weight. I've used single hand rods of that weight a lot for chinooks and winter steelhead. It's a powerful, long-casting rod weight, but quite manageable as to weight. (BTW, have you noticed that 9 and 11-weight rods are getting hard to find?)
  3. Chicago Flyfisherman Member

Chicago, IL
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've kicked around a 10 weight. I've kicked around a switch as a single hander. What I like about the little I have read is the NRX 10' 9 weight is it is light. A 10 weight I can not get in 10 feet. A switch, that's not really the way I want to go to single hand cast all day, which is why I'm looking so long and hard at this specific rod. It's really the only single handed 10' 9 weight that I've found.