Maiden voyage with the new raft - Yak report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luke77, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I'm always amazed when I hear of people who play in potentially dangerous waters without knowing how to swim or wearing any flotation device.

I was reading a follow-up article about the woman surf fisher who drowned here last weekend. She loved to surf fish, but didn't know how to swim. She had a pfd, which she left in her car. She usually fished with friends, and had gotten swept off her feet in the surf and needed to be rescued by them on one of her prior surf fishing trips here. So she should have known better. This last time they weren't around to save her.
  2. montana_sam Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I fished the Yak yesterday from Ringer down to Pines.
    Not many on the surfaced. I had a newbie and he got alot of hits on small yellow hoppers (mainly joe's)
    Nothing to big though. I am sure nymphing would have been a better option, but we were content to fish the surface.
    I am curious to see what the upcoming drop in water will do to the fishing.
    Great Sunday on the river though.
  3. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +727 / 0
    There are plenty of swiftwater rescues and deaths on the yakima unfortunately. I think that big irrigation chute has claimed about a half dozen.
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Good job on saving the idiot, Darwin notwithstanding. Good example for your son ++. Nice looking fishing raft too. My only regret is that you didn't post bikini photos.

Sg
  5. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +846 / 1
    Nice work, Luke. Still amazes me that people float the lower canyon expecting anything but what you experienced during the summertime..it's not like there's not much better water and stretches the Darwin candidates don't float. But, that's why I rarely fish the lower.....