Article Man killed while fishing from yak in Maui

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DoSer, Dec 3, 2013.

1. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:
  2. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

3. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:
    Sorry for the double post.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well a shark is a wild fish. If it thinks it sees food he will want it. I don't know why anybody wants to fish and swim in those waters. Especially in a open floating craft.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I went to Maui in 2000. I thought it interesting that they make a point that the waters are safe and shark attacks are pretty much non-existent. I took it at face value, and we went snorkeling on the shore-side reefs at first, but then swam into deep water well away from shore. In fact I began getting concerned about tidal currents I was subject to, but saw turtles and listened underwater to the whales. All very cool, and I didn't give the slightest thought to sharks.

We're going to Maui next April, and I think I'm gonna' stick to shallow water very close to shore.

Sg

6. DoSer

DoSer I smell Cheese

Home Page:
    Yeah, I have a buddy that lives on Maui, he's an avid diver/swimmer/surfer/sorta fisherman. He has spent more hours in the water down there than anyone I know and has never come in contact with a shark. It is rare down there, but not uncommon.

7. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Saw an episode of cops or some show like it in Hawaii, a guy decided to kite surf from one point to another, several miles, his wife was concerned and called for help, when they found him he was just simply laying in the water letting the kite tow him (no board), the guy was oblivious to what he was doing wrong, so one of the officers told him he was not kiting, but was trolling.......lucky guy. ya cant fix stupid i guess.

8. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

From what I've seen while on Hawaiian beaches, part of learning to kite surf is to begin by not using the board. I guess this teaches one the nuances of the kite control.

I've snorkeled several times in the area where the attack happened. Fortunately all the wife and I saw were a number of sea turtles and lots of colorful reef fish.

9. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    When our family was in Wailea(Maui) for my daughter's wedding in 2007, we were told pretty much the same thing: "nothing to be concerned about". I was totally enjoying the reef snorkeling experience. One day, I was watching a couple of sea turtles exiting the reef for deep water. Very cool.

That same day the beach was shut down due to a shark attack just a quarter mile north of us! They kept everyone out of the water for 24 hours using ground and helicopter patrols. Suddenly the media was sharing information about how to avoid shark attacks... it included: "exit the water if you spot sea turtles leaving a reef headed for deep water". Dang!!! Apparently the sharks will dip into the shallow reef areas looking for turtles in the morning. Certainly made me rethink the day's events.

I'm sure the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor to never encounter a shark, but I'm glad my lottery ticket didn't get drawn that day.

The woman up the beach did survive the attack.

10. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Well...he was dangling those tasty pink legs over the edge of the kayak......how could any decent self-respecting shark resist?

When you do fun and exciting things, sometimes bad-shit happens. That's part of the spice.

I've snorkeled Maui...at some of the refuges, as well as right off Blackrock..just a big Kanapali tourist beach...where several people, over the years, have been taken by sharks. Believe me, when I happen to go over the edge of a reef, and look down into those dark depths....sharks aren't far from my mind.

But, in reality, considering the hordes of people that swarm Maui, the odds are damn good..... the road to Hana claims far more victims than do sharks. And if you've ever driven it, you'd agree.