March Fly Salon: Salmon Fry

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Steve Knapp, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    CHUM FRY SLIDER
    Roger Stephens has been extremely creative converting traditional flies to topwater flies. I decided to convert the Chum Baby to a tube fly slider. I used a ProTube MicroTube and started by wrapping the tube with Pearl Bill's Body Braid. I then addd a sparse clump of Red Fox Tail as it is finer than squirrel tail and I think it will move more in the water. Then added 3 strands of UV Pearl Krystal Flash doubled around the tying thread. I then added a throat of 6 strands of Red Flashabou doubled around the tying thread. I then wrapped 6 turns of Peacock Herl. The Peacock Herl acts as a pillow for the Whiting Eurohackle variant tied in flat wing style. The head is a Rainey's Pee Wee Dink that I cut in half with a razor knife. I used a Dremel Tool with the beehive sander to hollow out the back to cover the tie-in point. I then colored the head with a Prismacolor Bronze felt pen to color the head. UV Eyes are attached with Zap-A-Gap. The head is then coated with Loon Hard Head Phosphorescent to seal the foam, increase durability and produce a soft glow.
    I will test the fly this weekend in Port Townsend at Cutts & Chums.
    Chum Fry Slider.jpg Chum Fry Slider Topside.jpg

Steve Knapp likes this.
  2. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    These are all badass flies guys, couple more days.

3. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Awesome patterns guys, and tough call..

Kelvin, GREAT flatwing, I love it and have tied a similar version which got a stike today in less than stellar conditions!

Rob, awesome sparse pattern and great lateral flash.

Jack, great fly and I loved the body wrap and rib, and the red tail.

Steve, as usual, fantastic topwater pattern and incredible detail!

The winner is Jack Devlin this month, his fly inspired me to change the way I was looking at my tying and sent me straight to the bench with new ideas!

4. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    Jack, congratulations, you are doing great work. I love your vision and look forward to using some of your creative approaches. Hope to see you on a beach somewhere soon.

Steve, thanks for a fun theme. Look forward to the next challenge.

5. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Steve, thanks for selecting my fly. I guess the ten pounds of smoked salmon and the case of hand crafted amber ale reached you ok.:)
    Regarding the prize, is the Ford Escape a 2012 model? If so, do I get to choose the color?

6. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Jack, due to production strikes the Escapes are all gone, we just missed the deadline... maybe a beer on a beach soon though

7. Billy Vanosdol

Billy Vanosdol Fly Chuker

Congrats. Jack
    Had fun at the Seminar. Makes me want to move to the OP.

8. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    Jack, you want the 2013 model. Completely redesigned. Should be in dealerships by June. You can check it out at Ford.com.

9. Jack Devlin

Steve,
    When I click on the link above for what I assume will be the instructions for the Salon, all I get is a list of forums and nothing about the salon.
    Jackd

10. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...fly-salon-sort-of-a-contest-interested.72414/

Jack, try the above link. I'm not sure what happened to the other link, it seemed to crash after the Forum upgrade.

It is Thomas Mitchells initial post about the Salon idea. Basically pick a theme, Thomas wanted interpretations of a specific fly, Winter's Hope, Rohrbach picked Johnson's beach fly, Kelvin picked the color Black.... so the thread has evolved. Go any way you want with it.

Steve

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    just a thought, theses all look very fully dressed, with pink fry especially think sparse

12. Jack Devlin

DSC03529.JPG DSC03558.JPG I agree, sparse is a good thing. However, every time I get to see and handle fry I realize they have width and height. The chum fry in the photo is 3 inches long. It is maybe 1/2 "tall" and at least 1/4 inch wide. The other photo is of pinks. They are somewhat smaller, maybe 2 1/2 long and thinner and shorter than the chum. The photos were taken this past Sunday. Last night I was reading a book I just received, "Fly Patterns Of British Columbia" by Art Lingren. I noticed that many of the patterns tied by our Canadian brothers are indeed sparse. Sparse is good to keep in mind.

13. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    It's a tough battle Full vs. Sparse... and sparse is generally a better idea. I will say that after looking at these fish up close, I agree with Jack, they are pretty substantial. I am happy with how my fry pattern looked wet and I was able to hook up with multiple Cutthroat on Sunday, and although I thought it was a little full, they didn't seem to mind.

14. Preston

Preston Active Member

This is the latest version of my Pregnant Guppy. More sparse and a bit shorter than previous versions. Hook: Gamakatsu SP11-3Ll3H size 8, Thread: monofilament, Body: Rainy's 1/8-inch foam parachute post, Wing: green Flashabou, green Krystalflash, black Krystalflash, Eyes: stick-on. The foam is tied in at the rear end of the hook shank, stretched and tied in at the front. The wing is tied in, the eyes are placed and secured with a turn of monofilament and coated with Softex. The rear of the foam is trimmed to a point and the front is trimmed at a blunt angle.

As often as not, the fly will float on its side, not bad for simulating an injured salmon fry.

Attached Files:

15. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    Jackd, one of my favorite books. I am constantly amazed about how small and sparse many successful BC are. Thanks for sharing the photos. They don't fully capture the brilliant glow of the silver Pink Fry body. I have decided to pick up some Silver Krystal Flash to tie up some new tubes.
    Preston, thanks for sharing the Pregnant Guppy again. One of the best topwater fry ever. I will be fishing some this weekend in an estuary where we fished Chum last fall.

16. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    what materials were used

17. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Craft fur tied in as four progressive clumps (short,longer,longest,medium), mirror krinkle flash for lateral flash and a peacock angel hair topping. Hold in shape and dip the head in softex,allow to set, then place the eyes and dip in softex again.

18. Jack Devlin

Not sure if this thread is still open? Anyway, here are some of the fry patterns I have been using since June. Been working real well on the cutts. As time goes on, I find I have had to increase the length of the fly to keep up with fry growth. Last week, for example, I was fishing in the Port Townsend area and was able to get a good look at two schools (twenty or so in each) of juvenile pinks. One of the schools actually took a rest in my wading eddy and hung below me only two feet away. The fish were already well over four inches long. Whether they are seeing chum or pink fry when they hit these flies I don't know. I think they just see FOOD!

Attached Files:

19. Jack Devlin

All the slight variations in the ties have produced. I think the eye is a real convincer if they have any doubts. The red gill/bleeding gill I think helps too. Its fun.

20. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I dredged up this thread looking for ideas for a Kokanee fry pattern. Those flies Jack D posted (post# 38) look like they'd work, especially with the blue. Very nice flies, Jack! Right now, I'm thinking I might tie some up about 3" long and fish 'em for Beardslees at the crack of dawn on Lake Crescent.

Also, i am wondering about a flat-wing Kokanee fry pattern. Might be a good one for Lake Crescent Kokanee eaters, at first light. The late Doug Rose wrote about Lake Crescent in his Fly Fishing Guide To The Olympic Peninsula, and he mentioned that stomach sample surveys indicated that the trout there over 20" feed exclusively on Kokanee or Kokanee fry.

I've read that the lake has a healthy Kokanee population.

Might head up there again later in the week. Local conditions are looking good this afternoon and tomorrow for a variety of my favorite local venues, so I can stay here now and be doing what I like without burning any gas or wasting time on the road.

Tony Abaloney likes this.