Marine Worms

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Tom,
    If you are so inclined I'd like to see a picture of your worm pattern.
    I was overly focused on chum fry and found myself totally unarmed when we happened upon this worm swarm.
    Thanks,
    SF
  2. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +302 / 0

I too caught my biggest SRC ever on a big fat olive green worm pattern and another fatty was caught on a pinkish worm pattern... basically just a rabbit strip with a bead head (in the salt)
  3. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +307 / 0
  4. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Here are examples of flies I've been using. Surprisingly the crazier color combinations work really well- tiger-striped rabbit with pinks, chartreuse, red, orange etc... Perhaps they capture the eggs or swollen worms when mating.
    Sample Poly Pattern:
    Hook: Sacrificial hook in vise. Stinger #6 Octopus
    Bead: 3/16" copper or gold
    Body: rabbit strip cut to desired length. I like the Tiger-striped colors from Hareline
    Flash: two strips red krystal flash per side
    Head: cut rabbit and UV Ice Dub spun in small loop, wrapped and brushed out
    poly_worms.JPG poly_fly.JPG
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Tom,
    Thanks for posting those. I appreciate it.
    SF
  6. c1eddy Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I live on the east side of the state and have only chased SRC once, last fall. Still, this has gotta be one of the best, most educational posts/threads I've ever read here. So cool you got this on film and shared it with us, Stonefish. Thanks to others for sharing info and patterns, as well. Not often do we get a thread that has you LYAO and learn so much at the same time. Thanks to all.
    golfman44 likes this.
  7. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Awesome flies. How do you fish them? They look like they could double as steelie flies as well.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  8. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I fish the worms on an intermediate line w/slow-to-moderate retrieve from my kayak. I have noticed fish rising from deep water to hit a popper on top so my thought is I'm fishing the middle part of the water column and getting fish to come up and check out the worm. A small trailer fly behind the worm is a bear to cast but ridiculously effective!

And it really is just a variation of many steelhead bunny leaches. I have zero doubt an aggressive steelhead would whack the heck out of one of these... might have to give it a try this summer!
  9. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,143 / 4
    That is really neat, Brian. Thanks for sharing!
  10. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +289 / 0
  11. jumpin New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I witnessed 1 time in my life A giant worm ball (very similar worms) in Friday Harbor inside the marina near the docks, Can You Say "FEEDING FRENSY" The pile perch were just shredding that thing. Needless to say my dad had some Fileting to do. I remember being pretty sad when the fish towed it away from the docks.