Micro Leech Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Irafly, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,053 / 1
    All leeches must be size 12 or smaller and should not be longer than an inch in length.

I've been fishing micro leeches like crazy in lakes and they far out produce just about anything I use. I tend to use scud or jig hooks with tungsten beads and hang them under indicators and my patterns will match that theme, but your welcome to tie whatever.

Number of tiers and flies depends on the interest as does the due date (micro leeches work year long).
    Otherwise all other rules apply, although to be honest I don't need you to toe tag your flies, we can all check the swap photos to find out who tied what.

1. McNasty
    2. Steeli Done
    3. Matt Baerwalde Done
    4. Chad Lewis Done
    5. KevinLS Done
    6. Gary Knowles Done
    7. troutpocket Done
    8. Nick Clayton Done
    9. fly punk Done
    10. Irafly (almost forgot to add my own name!) Done
    11. Wayne Kohan Done
    12. Ron McNeal Done
  2. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 1
    any idea on a due date? this sounds really fun, micro leeches under indicators have become huge for me this year already and become one of my favorite ways to fish stillwater. in fact your jig leeches from the winter swap were the ones that started it all for me. count me in, just need to order some things in the next few days.
  3. Irafly Active Member

Due date will depend on when things fill up. I figure a month after we fill up should give people enough time.
  4. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Count me in if due around the end of July. These are pretty quick to tie so number due doesn't matter that much to me. I don't focus and fish these often but always looking to improve my arsenal.
    Got everything to tie, maybe some more scud hooks...haven't used jig heads but will see if the local fly shop has some.
  5. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +201 / 0
    I'm in. Keep me updated please (in case I lose track of this thread). :)
  6. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    I'll get in on this one too.
  7. KevinLS Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Sounds like fun, I'd love to join as long as due date is around July 20 or later.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +403 / 0
    I'll sign up with a white/cream/grey alpaca hair (depending on what I have) leech on a jig hook.
  9. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    In. I'm not sure on the exact pattern yet. Probably something with a micro zonker strip tail.
  10. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,143 / 4
    Oh I am definitely in if there is still room.
  11. fly punk lunatic trout bum

oly. wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    love to get in on this if there is room.
  12. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 1
    gonna be a good one. i got some jig hooks and slotted tungstens on the way. thinkin a green micro leech with small rabbit strip tail. will have to do some experimenting when they get here to see what i wanna do.
  13. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    Count me in on this. Been using some of these lately with good results.

Wayne
  14. Irafly Active Member

One more, and we will call it good.
  15. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    OK, I'll take that last spot (if still open).

Happy Fourth everybody!!!
  16. Irafly Active Member

Didn't I already have your name on there? ;)
  17. Irafly Active Member

Ok, we are full, now the details. I think it would be good to to tie two of the same pattern, that way folks have one to fish and one to keep if they want or one to fish and lose and another to tie on and fish again. With 12 of us you will need to tie 22 leeches up (I'm half way done) and send them to me with a self addressed stamped envelope by August 5th at the latest (don't make me come after you as a swapmeister, I'm a task master).

Now something special on this one; once the flies are all sent to me I will post pics and we will quickly vote on which one is you favorite (no voting for yourself). I will send the winner a few extra patterns of my design and a slip indicator. So the ante has been raised!
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  18. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +965 / 1

I like the idea of tying up two of each with one to display and one to fish. I think I'll incorporate that into my next swap (or just have the participants tie one extra for my own personal display :rolleyes:)
  19. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I'm flexible but I thought was committing to tying one bug, double the bugs and time now will be iffy can make the deadline. Other things going now and can start tying mid July.
    Fortunately these patterns are relatively easy to tie so shouuuld be able to make August deadline...I wont' be the first to deliver though. Already, got supplies but now need to doublecheck my hook count..
  20. Irafly Active Member

One bug a night and you are good. Now hooks are iffy, if all fails, tie one or two of your leeches on a slightly different hook.