Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Minter Creek

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
Is anyone planning on fishing minter for the chums this weekend. If the rumors hold true it is basically combat fishing, but what the hell. I have never fished it and was wondering if it was worth my time.

Also a quick fishing report of the tahuya, dewatto, and black jack creek. They are full of chums and silvers, but they won't take anything. Saw a few huge chums in the dewatto and a school of small silvers. Many fish jumping in the bays of all three rivers/creeks. Seals were present at the tahuya and black jack creek.

#2 ·
Well, of course it's gonna be combat fishing. You have an extremely small creek (this is a creek, not misnamed at all), you put more then 8 guys in this slot and you're pushing it. Well, you have about 30. Luckily for myself, I have access to all the private beaches at mouth of Minter. :DEVIL But, sometimes, I will hit the hatcherly hole if I'm working (it sucks being a UPS driver in GH lol). When I do, I don't bring waders (which helps on private beaches), so will hit the hatchery while I'm working. But I try to fish below bridge. Just be prepared, it's maybe 10' wide MAX at high tide near hatchery. Maybe 15'. Low tide, make it about 4'.

It's your call really. You can get some nice fish, and if you want some chum to eat, you can keep 4 again I do believe. Which is very easy to do. And key is big chartruese flies. I had more luck then anyone else. Or should I say LEGALLY that is. All mine were hits, caught in mouth. Most guys were....bump bump, set hook....fish on. And usually caught in the butt. LOL

#6 ·
I think I going to head over that way Saturday at afternoon hightide and brave the crowds. I have never spent any time over there so it should be interesting. It would be worth it to fight a chum or two. Always looking for a buddy, drop me email or message if anyones interested.------Jon

#9 ·
Hmmmm, actually, most of the chums hit Minter in mid/late Nov. Was pretty much dead by December. Hit some fish, but not a whole helluva lot.

Ben, you gotta remember, these fish pretty much run in schools, each breaking off to a river as they go. Of course all the south sound rivers get the last of them. The Nasty gets the last of them. Normally, you get fish that hit the Puyallup and at same time hit up near Henderson Bay. If memory serves me right, the Nasty gets it chums runs in January. Haven't fished that fishery in along time, so can't quite remember.

#11 ·
Yup

Just like I said, mid/late Nov they come in heavy. I know Dennis who runs facility pretty well. I always BS with him whenever I deliver there.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much for another couple weeks.

#13 ·
Yup

according to my logs it was december last year and during november it was dead slow. fished it about 7 days all 15 to 20 fish days. have it as the last place to hit when other chums runs are over on the kitsap penninsula here.

I'm gonna check my posts on piscatorial pursuits in the archives about it and I know it was december. wrote about catching chrome bright dogs in december i think.

Greg what does your logs say about when minter creek was hot?

Ben

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

#14 ·
Yup

Ben,

My log shows heaviest chum returns for 2001 at Minter occurred between November 15 and December 7 and then tapered off going forward into December. Run appears to have peaked between about November 20 and November 30. Not sure if that was normal, early or late timing on the return last year because of the El Nino thing, however, but it was the first time that fishery was opened to recreational angling. I understand WDFW now has plans on the table to discontinue the Chum program at Minter Creek.

Greg

#15 ·
Well.......

I know I fished it every weekday, since my route surrounds Minter. And have delivered out there the last 14 years or so. I always have watched the fish come in and checked in with Dennis (the hatchery manager) almost daily since I've been delivering out there. You may have had lucky streaks. Hell, I've caught fresh fish in other rivers WELL after the season was supposed to be dead. I saw the amounts of fish yanked out in mid/late Nov, and there were tons. Remember, the hatchery DOESN'T want the fish returning. I saw less guys fishing in December, so more probably made it to the intakes. Remember, just like any statistics, you only can count what gets put in. I know most guys were keeping at least 4 chums each, and most weren't recording what they were keeping. I reported quite a few, but never saw a game warden once checking them out. So, can't count what isn't reported.

I know they But Minter is far from last river to get them. Fish run south, and the Nasty has a January run of Chums that rush in. It's about as far south as you get. The Puy has a Xmas run. I know I couldn't put the hour lunches in in Dec, since we were in our Xmas rush, but I always hit Minter on incoming tide, and did quite well. More chrome hit in mid/late Nov, not as much in early/late Dec. But, I was doing most of my fishing near mouth anyways, I got to hit the fish that were milling out there while the others laid up near hatchery hole.

#16 ·
Greg said it all

I just noticed after I posted my reply Greg had already said it. Actually, I have been speaking with Dennis Popochock, the manager of Minter and they had plans quite awhile ago of discontinuing the Chum program. That's why they instituted the Chum season. They only want kings and silvers coming up. They want the chums caught out. That's straight from the Managers mouth. He gave me all the info I needed on when to fish. But, I have private beach access near mouth, so opted to stay away from the crowds. Was great, used my spey a few times, since there was actual BIG water to cast since channel was in dead middle and no back casting. Up near the hatchery is purely what the UK call "dapping". Just drop the line and watch for a tug. Didn't have to cast at all.

Ben, I don't keep logs anymore, pretty much know the run timings by heart. I do have a detailed log of my Dad from the 50's to present, and some of my old logs from the 70's to about mid 90's. Plus, it also helps to know the Hatchery managers who give good info to boot. LOL

#18 ·
Greg said it all

end of november thru december is what I got also. I know other places get them later but in the area where I live (kidnap county) about every creek chums come in and its one of the last places in this area with a few exceptions. seen them jumping jigging for blackmouth at southworth point around christmas. all in all its a cool place to fish. watch the channel at high tide thou, fall right in. Ben

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

#19 ·
Access

There is actually only a couple places you can access the bank. One is just off 128ths st (aka Creviston at that area). You can see the little bridge (what there is showing of it) and you can park along street or in parking lot of hatchery and fish to south side of creek or go into the hatchery and fish the northside of creek. Technically the northeast side of bridge is private, but some guys encrouch on that. There's not much are to go on south side. Basically follow the signs down (there are private property signs listed). You can follow grass line. But stay off the creek bottom. All of lower creek is privately owned, majority by Mintercreek Oyster Company. Most own to mean high water mark, which is just below the grass line. So when creek is out, you'd be walking on private property. I can access the lower end off some private driveways. If in doubt, ask. Almost every point down Vipond is private, except one little section. From there, you have a narrow field you can walk legally to fish near mouth. If you fish near bridge, stand in the grass, you'll be ok. But, creek is only a couple feet wide there, so be prepared for VERY short casts. LOL And at very low water, it's a mere trickle of a creek, so not worth walking the legal area to get to fish, since it's only a couple inches deep near mouth at low tide anyways.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me an email, more then glad to help. I've been trying to help Dennis get those chums out anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.