more chironocast stories

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chironocast, Mar 29, 2002.

1. chironocast

chironocast New Member

The day was sunny and beautifull as I finned my tube through the
    surface film at dry falls.Finning to a spot about 40yds from shore I angle myself slightly toward the open water to chironocast over the shelf-drop. though fairly focused on the task at hand I couldnt help
    but notice a snake wriggling toward shore from the open water about 300 yds away. Okay I thought, no big deal though I did keep a slightly wary eye on the critter. Man, I thought, from the direction that snake is swimming from, he's come a long, long way. He paused about 5-6 times in approx 8 minutes. I figured he had to be pretty uncomfortable in the 50-55 degree water. As the serpent closed to about 70 yards or so, he started to angle more toward me. At first it seemed slight. Then, when he was within about 50 yds of me I realized the damn thing was mistaking me for an Island!! I started to move a little and he was shadowing my movement. No way, he can't be serious
    I thought. Well, his cold blood was making him crazy or something and I was now kicking the tube for all I was worth as the snake was now 10yds off and coming straight for me. He figured it out...I got out of the way...but it was weird. He stopped about 10 yds from shore and I watched for quite a while. He seemed to be out of gas. He made it finally to shore and I'm sure was thankfull, as was I, that it was on
    a warm beach instead of a warm tube with a half crazed snake-0-phobe.

2. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I was fishing lake Fennewick a few weeks ago and had a river otter mistake my kayak for a log and climb on board. I do not know which one of us freaked out more when we both turned and looked at one another. I found the incedent kind of funny at the time other fishmen down lake must not have known what to think with me laughing so hard afterwards. Now a snake would have been another story. I to would have paddled away quickly from that myself. The only thing that was depressing at the time was he had a small fish in his mouth and I did not get a bite all day. :EEK

3. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

I waz fishing brookies in a small 14 acre, very lightly fished lake on the Colville Indian Rez. The day was warm and dead calm. I sensed something moving and looked over my shoulder. There swimming in the shore area on the other side was what appeared to be the biggest dang beaver I'd ever seen. I stopped dragging my nymph and watched quietly as it swam. At midlake it veered directly toward me. My aging eyes could finally discern it was not a beaver, but a Moose with big floppy ears. This big female? headed directly for me and got within about 30' before giving a big snort and heading back the opposite way.
    What a thrill meeting Bullwinkle Moose on a near perfect fishing day capped by a nice meal of brookies for dinner. Don't get any better than that.

4. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

I was sitting in my float tube on a private pond one warm summer day casting drys out to some smallmouth bass that were working the surface when I noticed a pretty good size beaver working around some cattails near shore. I thought I would be a smart ass and cast over his way to see if I could get him to move. Well one well placed casrt and I popped him on the rearend. He slapped his tail and dove really pissed off. I then remembered that my legs were dangling below my tube in the water and I had no way of seeing this beaver if it decided to attack. It never did and I continued to catch smallies but I was a nervous wreck the rest of the day until I got off the water.

Since then, I've smartened up and I leave the wildlife alone. :pROFESSOR

5. IronHead

IronHead New Member

On a hot and humid day in the north hills of Georgia, my buddy and I were fishing for trophy trout in a small tea-colored stream shaded by arching trees and bordered by roots and undercuts. We were wading upstream in our shorts and tennis shoes to get to a hole we had fished before and noticed a water moccassin attempting to swim across the stream ahead of us. Our eyes were wide and focused on this creature but we were not alarmed. The reptile was zeroed-in on the far shore and seemed content on getting there, but for some reason it turned downstream and headed right for us. Instinctively, we both engaged the snake with our fly rods to turn it away and within seconds, without a word, we realized that we had to run for it...it was after us. We couldn't climb the banks so we clumsily turned downstream in knee deep water to get out of its way and my buddy tripped and fell face first into the stream. The snake was on him in seconds. He splashed and thrashed to keep the snake away from him but its pursuit was relentless. I thought he was a gonner. Just as quickly as this episode turned for the worst, the snake abandoned the fight and headed for the roots on the bank. We searched my buddy for scratches and bite marks and there were none. He would live to fish again, but not there. We left and went somewhere else. I hate snakes.

6. wa_flyfisher

wa_flyfisher New Member

Thanks all that posted. I was laughing so hard my eyes were watering and I woke my wife. I, of course, laugh with you and not at you. I have experienced similar events. Once while fishing for bass on TX: These series of lakes are thick with bass...and water mocassins, which are viscious creatures. Time fishing on these lakes was a function of how long it took for the slimy bastards to find a spot on the bank to slither up on to and literally chase you down. One time I didn't notice one until it was practically on me. I threw down my rod and grabbed a long handled net I had and commenced bashing at it.

About two smacks and it suddenly dissapeared. I freaked 'cause I knew this thing wanted a piece of me. At some point in my panick I realized I had scooped it in the net (or those big knarly fangs got caught) and flicked it behind me. It was coming for me again. I grabbed my rod and put some distance between us.

My otter story:
    I was standing on a mossy log making observations before moving upstream. I was fishing here in the NW on my favorite fall Sea run cutt stream. The water was rather high but clear. Air was typical fall with cool mist. Suddenly, I noticed this massive fish. At first glance I believed it was a monster king making its way upstream and manuevering to swim right below me on the log. As it got right below me I realized it was some sort of river otter or maybe a beaver. This was really alarming because I had never seen one working this stream in this manner in the 6 years I had fished it. The startling realization of what it was jolted me and I lost balance on the mossy log and went crashing in the stream almost on top of the creature. I look back now laugh. Just glad I was alone that day fishing.