More streamer tips for trout?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Builder, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I'm going to fish Rock Creek tomorrow and I want to try throwing streamers. I really haven't done it much and I've never dedicated myself to it for more than an hour before giving up.
    I want to catch bigger fish. I'm in that phase.
    Tools I have: TCX 5wt, 1x, 2x, 3x 7.5 leaders, no tippet, good selection of streamers. It's supposed to be bright and sunny and the water is low so probably not the best conditions.
    Any tips?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Missoula
  2. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    The best way to become a successful streamer fisherman is to not get discouraged. Change flies and retrieve speed until something starts to work. Conventional wisdom is that big fish near good cover like undercuts and logjams will hit streamers. While this is true, you can get a lot of the nymph-eaters in the middle seams to hit a streamer. I've been killing it all summer on RC with white or yellow conehead zonkers. Finally, middle of the day when it's sunny is the worst time to try. Evening is when the big ones become more active at this time of year.
    Builder likes this.
  3. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    Big fish need big meals. You need to be throwing large patterns and stripping in a erratic and fleeing motion. Also don't be afraid to fish the fast water, especially in the summer when the water is low and clear. I personally like sculpin patterns. Here's an example of what I like to throw.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378857700.492639.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378857723.859346.jpg
    ganglyangler, BASS_TURDS and Builder like this.
  4. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Thanks guys. Awesome looking eyes on those things. Stupid question but I assume a floating line works well with the heavy streamers?
  5. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    +1 for the natural sculpin.
  6. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +151 / 0
    LOOP KNOTS.
    Skyler Evans likes this.
  7. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
  8. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    builder, I like using my clear rio intermideate line to fish streamers, or a sink time depending on the depth of the water you are fishing.
  9. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Skylar...
    Do you have one streamer rod, reel and lines or are you swapping spools? I get kind of spoiled in June over here putting on the Wff line a 4 or 5x and never changing lines. I do have enough stuff to set up a streamer only rod though. I'll check out the Rio intermediate.
    Chris
    Missoula
  10. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    I stay with the same rod just swap spools or reels. and i normally use between a 5x and 3x tippet. I have found that it is esier to take one rod and a different reel or spool than it is to carry around a second rod. I like to walk alot when i fish.
  11. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +717 / 0
    If fishing from shore I almost always just swap lines/reels as I change approaches to streamer fishing.

With a 5 weight I really like fishing unweighted flies with 150 grain sink tip. Allows me to fish large flies easily without pitching and ducking; this is especially so with low flows. This time of year those large browns should be thinking about spawning and starting to move. Sculpin patterns should be golden; with cooler water temperatures I would think about darkish flies (black and chocolate brown). I would use a 3X tippet on a short heavy butt taper leader.

Should be a good time and looking forward to your report.

curt
  12. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    I'm hoping I have a few trips to practice until the browns start moving but that's exactly my thought.
    Maybe 4 feet of butt leader?
  13. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +717 / 0
    I like to have my over all streamer leader length shorter than the rod length. With a 8 1/2 foot rod my leaders would be in the 7 foot range with a 24 to 30 inch tippet( 6 or 8
    # MG depending on the situation) so main leader of 5 feet or so. I tie my own and usually start with a heavy butt (30# MG) of 24 to 30 inches or so and step down 3 steps of 8 to 10 inch pieces to the tippet. The heavy butt aids in turning the larger flies over without leader collapse and allows for effective casting in winds or consistent roll casts of 50 or more feet if needed.

A 7 foot leader isn't often needed but I think a little longer leader helps in low water by keeping the fly well separated from the fly line (shadow and splash down). Covers some of my casting mistakes or when I select a subtle approach it can be helpful. A favorite trick on located fish that will not commit to my standard presentation is to case my unweighted fly well upstream and allow it to dead drift down toward the fish and then activate the fly with small twitches.

Curt
  14. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    +1

I like to have a Rio Aqualux on one spool and a floater on another. I'll choose the line to start with based on my approach. Maybe start with the floater and fish upstream until it's time to turn around and fish the intermediate with streamers on the way out. Cover different water or just show the fish something different on the second pass.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  15. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I like 8-15 tips or fast sinking poly leaders
  16. Craig Pablo Active Member

Ronan, MT
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    always good to have at least one JJs

[IMG]
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  17. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,613 / 0
    If you have a by and large shallow stream/river and every now and then a deep seam, some of the sinking lines are too heavy for the bulk of the casts, but when you need it the line is too light. You can get the streamer in and down deep in those seams by submerging your rod tip 3-4 feet and retrieving through the deeply submerged tip. the take has a very different feel and is a strip set, not a rod set. You will want to do this with cheap rods, and beware the current on a small stick, you could easily snap the rod. At minimum you'd want to do this with like a 5wt.
  18. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 6
    Use 8-10# maxima ultragreen for your tippet. Great stuff, hard for the fish to see and tough. On cut banks you can get the fly right to the bank and let it drift along the bank for a little bit the strip. That way you get more exposure to the bank. I fished fish creek for the first time on my way home this summer. I tossed streamers for a couple of hours one evening and only had one fish offer. Not sure if it was me or the stream may not be the best place to chuck streamers. Some rivers are defiantly better streamer rivers. When the sun starts coming off the water until dark is the best time, but not the only time. I often use a non slip mono knot on streamer. If you are drifting or swinging it will give more movement.
  19. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    Second on the Airflo Polyleader. It works great for all but the biggest streamers, and you can keep your dry fly/nymph leader in your vest while using your regular WF5F line with a sink tip. Usually a weighted streamer on a 6', 2-part (30lb-2x) leader works fine though.
  20. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +220 / 0
    Google Kelly Galloup

If you want an action packed way of fishing that will leave you exhausted at the end of a day. I've only played around with his techniques the last couple of times out and have had great success (one day) and limited success (the other day), but one thing was constant for both days, it is really really fun and often the takes are visual because the fish just want to absolutely murder your fly (I ended up using my version of the Circus Peanut tied about 2 1/2 inches long).