My Boots are to tight! Help needed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bestbuilder, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

After a summer of wearing minimalist shoes my feet seem to be wider. I just bought a new pair of Korkers last spring an now they are a little to tight.
    I can't find a wading boot that isn't too tight (I've tried on a bunch) It seems all boots I try on are about the same width.

How do you stretch out a pair of boots? (width wise)

I really need some help here. I need to be able to walk miles in my boots and being too tight is a big issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And no I am not going up a size, I am 1/2 size up already and if I go any more I'll be tripping over them. I also don't want to look/act like I'm wearing clown shoes.

2. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Give a call to Dave Page, Cobbler, in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. He's a world-renown shoe and boot repair guy, and works on everything from mountaineering boots to Birkenstock sandals to wading boot resoles....if you have him work on your boots, he'll have them back to you within a week. I've had him resole several pairs of wading boots, hiking boots, and casual shoes over the past 30+ yrs, and always have been pleased.
    http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

Jim B.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  3. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Another option is LL Bean's Gray Ghost. I had a pair for a while and they have tons of room and are very comfortable. I don't have wide feet, and they actually had too much room for me. With checking out though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Pull out the boot's soft interior fabric insole. The neoprene of the wader bootie should be more than enough padding. And although the bulk of the padding is not width, it will give more expansive room for the neoprene to spread over..

Rumor is Orvis rejected a proposed 2014 cobranding clothing line between Juggalo+Orvis-the so-called Cedar Series- of which a signature outfit included Creepy Clown with oversized patchwork waders and some big squeaky red-tipped boots and a series of wig-inspired hats that can only be described as "far, far beyond what our Orvis demographic has come to expect in terms of quality and functionality. Although, trade rumors have it that the 'You can't spell slaughter without laughter' cap with scary clown and flyrod logo may yet still be introduced"

5. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Thanks for the tip on the insoles, I actual had tried that last night and they seem to fit fine. My worry was that the roughness of the boot bottom my wear out my brand new waders faster. Maybe I am just worrying about nothing, its not like sand and gravel don't get in there either.

Isn't there some kind of boot stretcher out there?

At this point I'm not into forking over more money for new boots when I just bought these.

6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

I've been wearing one pair of boots with no insole for about 6 years with the same pair of waders. The pair of boots, with the waders in place, lets in a small amount of gravel and grit. That wader pair just got replaced not because of holes in the stocking foot, but because of holes in seams and knees, it wasn't the neoprene that failed.

Made a dumb choice though, decided to wet wade in those loosely laced boots without socks on a puget sound beach. The mild surf turfed up what I first thought was an innocuous hash of shell fragments and sands. They made their way into the flat and unpadded boot cavities that my feet rested upon. That grist slowly accumulated, and as it did the pain ratched up in a non-linear manner. Some call it event horizon, I call it misery asymptote.

Those shell fragments that I initially thought of as benign were in fact ridiculously sharp and needle like and the fine sands were not fine in the least. They were jagged little nuggets of fire forged in volcanic hell, they might as well have been stellate obsidian. Any points of contact felt as though my foot was wrapped in cacti. If you stood really still, like really, really still, the pain would dissipate. And then the gentle roll of a freighter wake would upset the peace...

Every step was a solid an unambiguous reminder of how stupid a decision it was to dress in that manner. I moved like a diver in a lead suit, robotic clompings, I suffered longer than I should, given the solution was mindless and simple. I determined, later, and when I could think clearly again, that there was a ridiculously high pain threshold that needed to be achieved to trump the enjoyment of fishing. That threshold was crossed far later than I expected, and I don't care to elaborate how long the pain was ongoing. It was long enough to conclude that somewhere out there a sect of ridiculous hermetic penitents could use this "boots of fire" technique instead of hair shirts and strict flagellation to center their chakras. I did see with a third eye that evening, and have not been able to duplicate the experience since.

Matt Baerwalde and Northern like this.
  7. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Yes, I too was lead by the evil one into thinking it was ok to wet wade without booties. Though I am still coersed into doing things that are not in my best interest- I will never do that again!

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I find that my Korkers Guide Boots, unlike any other wading boot I've had (and I've had a lot) stretch like crazy when they get wet and always feel snug when dry. You might try getting them wet before putting them on, maybe even doing it at the house so they are good and loose before you get to the river/lake/salt.

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Theres a small shop in the Chinatown district of seattle that does foot binding on Gesha girls. I'm not sure of the exact location , But if you ask around I'm sure you'll find it. Or you could buy new larger boots!!!!

Daryle Holmstrom likes this.
  10. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Freestone, thanks for the idea. I spent the evening try your idea out and yes the boots did stretch to a tolerable level. Maybe in the river they will work even better.

Hey Sultan, if I went any Larger (they don't seem to make wider) I would be tripping over them.

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

My wading boots are a full two sizes up from my street shoe. After a couple layers of socks and wader booties thrown in they fit fine, but as mentioned above they are still a little tight when dry. Throw them in a bucket of water the night before you go. If it's winter keep them in the cab of the truck so they don't freeze before you get them on.

As for the clown feet thing, you get used to it. As the sultan can attest to, there was an age when I spent more time in them than out of them and they quickly became second nature.

For wet wading in the summer you will of course need another pair in a smaller size to go with your summer rod, summer line, summer shirt, summer vest, summer hat, summer glasses, and summer flies.

12. Freestone

My Korkers continue to get looser throughout the day so i have to tighten them at least twice. After years of experimenting and trying tons of boots, here is what works for me: I use 3 different sizes of boots throughout the year. For summer wet wading with a thin neoprene sock, I use my street shoe size. For wearing with waders in spring and fall, I go up one size (if they are wide enough), and for winter wading, I go up two sizes so I can fit more socks and toe warmers and still be able to wiggle my toes.

However, last year, I got some Simms Artic boot foot waders for winter and wow, my feet have never been warmer. I can steelhead fish all day in the snow and ice and never get cold!

Here are some of the boots I've tried. Of these, I loved the Simms Freestone boots as they came in a wide width.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378566200.802643.jpg

13. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

From the Imelda Marcos FF collection?

bennysbuddy and Freestone like this.
  14. Freestone

LOL! But hey, I'm a gal so what can I say. We all share the same footwear affliction but mine is obviously fishing oriented. :) Plus, I put a lot of miles on boots so many of them should be ditched as they are worn out but I keep thinking that I'll get around to refelting, reglueing, etc. but just get new ones instead...

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Foot binding only works on young children. Once you get extra large feet, nothing will make them smaller.

16. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Your problem is wearing sandals.....when I retired, I quit wearing shoes! Sounds great but I went from a size 10 boot to an 11 and then to a 12. I find the patagonias give me lots of room, you might try them, but buy them BIG.

17. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

I wear an 8.5/9 street shoe. Got a pair of Korker's Steelhead boots (Boa lace system) in size 10... a little loose but better the tight...
    (btw, what size are your boots?)

18. GAT

GAT Active Member

Yup. My favorite wading boots are Danner (they stopped selling them) but there is no way in hell you can avoid suffering when wearing them when they are completely dry. Leather shrinks when dry. As a result, I soak them with the water the night before a fishing trip so they are easy to wear the next day while I'm trekking to the steelhead river.

The shrinking leather factor is the very reason the majority of wading boots these days are not made with genuine leather.

When I first started flyfishing there was no such thing as wading boots. Most guys used large size tennis shoes with their Seal Drys... 100 percent latex. Waders and boots have improved significantly over the years.

later_Peter likes this.
  19. Slate Run

Slate Run Active Member

Last month on the Henry's Fork my feet were just KILLING me. Now I admit, my feet are pretty ugly, and almost always hurt to some degree in hiking, skiing, or wading boots. I've played the custom fit, custom footbeds, etc game for years. But in August the pain red-lined, but I finally found the expert boot fitter. Just ask for "Joe" at the Chevron in Last Chance, ID for all your custom boot adjustments. Well worth the 780 mile drive!

Attached Files:

wadin' boot likes this.
  20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

got any size 10 for sale?