My First Fish on a Flatwing fly!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jeff Dodd, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin helped me with some flat wing tying advice this week and today I got to fish a few of my own flies. I will be tying more of this style fly. Fun to tie and fish. My Dad, who does not flyfish was really impressed when he saw the movement and profile of the fly swimming in the saltwater.

I found a pod of 14-16" fish at my favorite sea run cutthroat beach this morning.

The largest fish took the flatwing. Of course, he took the flatwing I was least happy with at the vise. This fish made a strong run and then came flying out of the water. This prompted 2 other fish to also start jumping! I had 3 fish jumping multiple times all in about 10' square feet of water. Took a minute to figure out exactly which fish I was attached to.

The other three fish, 3 consecutive casts, took a generic baitfish pattern shown in the photo. I tied this with a bead at the bend and I like the way it sinks and keeps the head of the fly small.

So this is my Grandmother's memorial service weekend. She spent her best years on the shores of Oak Bay here MA9. She loved the Puget Sound and I cant help but think I had help finding these willing fish today.

View attachment 35038 View attachment 35039 View attachment 35038 View attachment 35039 IMG_20131110_115301_424.jpg IMG_20131110_082417_957.jpg

2. I should add a BIG Thank you to Bob Triggs and this forum for reuniting me with my stripping basket.

Thanks Bob!

3. Nice work Jeff! I've never tied a flat wing... one of these days ill get brave.

I'm very sorry to hear of your grandmothers passing.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. Jeff - I too am sorry about GM's passing. Hopefully, a life well lived. Good karma from GM....

Hope to see you soon.

MB

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. Way to go Jeff, ever since Nathan Keene introduced me to the flat wing several years ago it has been my most consistent producer and my go to fly. My favorite is tied to imitate the sand lance.

Attached Files:

Jeff Dodd, Patrick Allen and nic like this.
  6. is the pattern productive for you all year long or during specific time of the year?

7. Nice work. Didn't really know much about flatwings but just did a little reading.

Seems like it would be a great fly tied in the right colors for coho, except for the fact that the hook is all the way at the front of the fly.

Has anyone experimented with tying this fly with a stinger? Would it work? It seems, from what I can tell, that that my ruin the action of the fly that you are looking for. But I may be completely wrong.

Anyway, just tied up a couple myself. Not too hard to tie and they look great. Definitely going to have to give them a good try next year for silvers.

J

8. Nice work and God Bless your Grandmother.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. Sand Lance are almost non existent during the winter months in the spring their progeny (young) leave from beneath the sandy beaches where they spawn and their cycle starts over again. This pattern is productive all summer from May through October.

nic likes this.
  10. [quote="Jason Rolfe, post: 884693,

Seems like it would be a great fly tied in the right colors for coho, except for the fact that the hook is all the way at the front of the fly.

Has anyone experimented with tying this fly with a stinger? Would it work? It seems, from what I can tell, that that my ruin the action of the fly that you are looking for. But I may be completely wrong.

J[/quote]

I would recommend giving it a go as is, with the short shank hook. I was using a size 6 hook and one if the cutthroat took the fly deep in his mouth.

I use to spend a lot of time jigging Pt Wilson darts for blackmouth. I would remove the rear hook and use only a single stinger hook at the head of the jig. Worked really well and the fish seemed to hit the head of the jig.

11. Dale. Your flatwing flies alwaysnlook great. I recall watching you in Ellensburg fly show tying a flatwing. Just awesome. Hope to see you soon and get more details about this sand lance pattern. Fish it around Langley marina in early next spring.

12. Nice flies, pretty fish and a great story about Grandma. I trust she led a wonderful life and will be remembered fondly.
    I'd like to tie a few flatwings too. I've looked for a "how to" book but didn't find one. I'll look in the fly tying section here in a moment. Maybe Jack or Eric have offered one up. Hope so. I know the Avid Angler does a class occasionally.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  13. Thanks for the great fly photos. I will give the a tie.

14. quote="David Loy, post: 884858, member: 3157"]Nice flies, pretty fish and a great story about Grandma. I trust she led a wonderful life and will be remembered fondly.
    I'd like to tie a few flatwings too. I've looked for a "how to" book but didn't find one. I'll look in the fly tying section here in a moment. Maybe Jack or Eric have offered one up. Hope so. I know the Avid Angler does a class occasionally.[/quote]

David,
    Thank you. We had a really nice service yesterday in Hadlock.

I've found two good videos at Jack's suggestion:

Single wing flatwing video by Joe Cordeiro

Toney Abaloney suggested this fly and tying website (Rhody Fly) in an earlier post. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/first-flat-wings.92173/

Enjoy! I'm just getting started and look forward to taking a flat wing tying class in the future.

Jeff

15. Sorry to hear about your GM, I'm sure she got a good send off. I'm going to see if I can tie up some flat wings with a stinger to fish next year. Got to do some tail and feather shopping. Great videos by the way. As always great info here. I bet you could tie a killer flat wing tube fly and solve the stinger problem at the same time, I'm guessing one would need a Al tube or you would end up with a locked up tube?

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  16. Flat wings ROCK for cutt's !!! Been tying and using them for 4 or 5 years. Not the best for coho. I've caught a few silvers on them but missed a few as well. Cutts seem to know to hit the head and no problem hooking up, I've caught very small cutt's on FW's that were much bigger then they were but still hooked up.... I think coho tend to follow the fly and hit the tail a lot, a stinger would work but you'd loss that great action they have. IMO...

Jeff, nice story about Grandma and I'm sure she would have liked it....

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  17. I tied up my first flat wing last night. I tied on a stinger about 3 inches back. With all the feathers, flash, and buck tail back there it looks to me like it would want to foul. I guess I'm going to need to learn how to tie tube flys. image.jpg

rotato likes this.
  18. Nice fly but by adding the trailing/stinger hook you have ruined the intended action of the flatwing design and you have also created a fouling problem. The original flatwing design came about with one of its main purposes being to eliminate fouling by tying in the feathers/tails at the rear of the hook, much like the purpose intended in Lefty Kreh's Deceiver
    FWIW.
    Jack

Bagman likes this.
  19. You could not be anymore correct. Jason Rolfe early on in this Thread ask if this fly would work with a stinger. As I had some time I gave it a try. My answer was in my mind it would not work very well with a stringer. I have not put the fly to any tests, but my thoughts were from just looking at it. I have tried tying a few more Flatwings but none with a stinger.