Need advice: Getting a friend hooked.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Woollyworm, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

Hey there,
    A buddy of mine from the East Coast will be visiting during the first weekend in December. He's gotten tired of hearing my fish stories and really wants to see what Washington fishing is really like. The problem is, I can't think of where to take him for good fishing that time of year. Chums are probably finished by then, eastern lakes are cold and closed. My only thought is Rocky Ford, and I think that type of fishing may be too technical.

You guys have any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. steve

steve New Member

Rocky Ford might be good, at least he would be able to see a lot of huge trout, even if he couldn't catch any. The other problem though is it might be snowed in around that time. I don't know if you've ever been to Rocky Ford or not, but its pretty much a dirt road all the way to the stream once you get off highway 17. Steelhead will be in most of the rivers around that time, but as you probably know, they can be pretty tough to catch also. Maybe try one of the rivers on the Oly pennisula. Good luck.
    -Steve

3. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

Well, December isn't really the best time to get someone hooked on fishing, but I'll give ya my best ideas. I think that Chums should be good in late or mid December in the areas where late runs occur, like Chamber Creek estuary, the Nisqually, and McAllister Creek. That might be a bit iffy, though. Pass or Lone Lake could be good, too, with streamers and sinking lines. The big browns and bows bite all year round. Also, Cranberry Lake in Deception Pass State Park on Whidbey Island seems to have consistent winter warmwater action. Once, on a trip back from Lone Lake in January, my father, brother, and I caught about 100+ big perch that were schooled right in 2 feet of water off of the dock. My last suggestion, and probably the best, would be the Yakima River. The trout take nymphs all winter, and the whitefishing is fantastic. For that matter, the Green should be good for whitefish too.
    Hope this helps-

4. guest

guest Guest

hey jon duke where on the green can you catch white fish is it buy flaming geyser park. i never have fished the green but i always here people talk about it

5. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

The best areas on the Green for whitefish are definitely above Soos Creek, and the riffles and runs at Whitney Bridge and Flaming Geyser are my favorites. Kanaskat-Palmer State Park could be good, too. Also, the Carbon River (trib of Puyallup) has good whitefishing.

6. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

Thanks for the tips. What's the technique for hooking up whitefish in the Yakima. I figure it's something along the lines of dredging the deeper runs with heavily weighted nymphs. Sound about right?

Thanks again,
    Tight lines

7. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

Well, you do nymph for whitefish, but its actually not really big mypmhps in deep water. They are really active in the winter, and riffles and runs 2-4 feet deep seem to be prime. They flash around in there feeding on nymphs. I usually use and indicator and a size 10-14 BH Pheasant Tail, BH Prince Nymph, or a BH Hares Ear. But any generic mayfly or cadisfly nyph will work. I have also caught them on size 6 stonefly nypmhs fishing for trout.
    Jon