Need advice please...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Alosa, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +142 / 1
    I am brand new to two handed rods and I just purchased an Echo Solo 13ft 8wt spey rod to get me into the game. I need to pair it up with a properly balanced reel and line. I'm a big fan of the Echo brand, so I am thinking of sticking with the Echo Ion reel. I use the Ion 6/7 for my single handed rods, but I think that the reel cpacity might be a bit on the small side to handle thicker diameter shooting heads, etc., plus that reel might not balance the rod out all that well. My guess is that the Ion 8/10 would be better (although only slightly larger diamter than the 6/7), but that the 10/12 might be overkill. I'd love to hear your thoughts on reel choice.

Next we come to lining the rod for swinging flies. I'm thinking winter steelhead on some larger rivers. I've done some research and my guess is that a Skagit compact shooting head (540-600 grains) would be most appropriate. I'd like ot hear from you about alternatives (what's a 'scandi' anyways?), and what sort of sinking tips I should be considering (length, density, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    Just sent you a PM Alosa, get back to me if you'd like to.
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    One of the major reason you need a larger reel with a 2hander set up is the lines, even if just head systems, are longer than a single hander line. This sucks up reel volume pretty quick. My general 'rule of the thumb' is if the reel is rated for a 6/7 (just to pick numbers) up size at least one reel size (8/9 in this example).
  4. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    on an 8wt spey, a 10/12 reel is spot on.
    Ian Broadie likes this.
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    you will want a 10/12 when a steely or salmon goes screaming
  6. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I have the Echo TR 8 wt. I use the compact Skagit and the MOW tips. I add 3' of 12 lb. Maximun for the leader.
  7. Achilles Member

Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I actually think the Echo Ion reels were built as spey reels so an 8/10 or 10/12 would be appropriate for your rod. The manufacturers suggest that the 8/10 would fit an WF8 weight line (+/- what you decide to line it with like a 570 airflo skagit compact) and 300 yards of 30lb backing. You can also get a brass knob for the Echo reels that helps give it more balance. People seem to like those.

I like the Echo reels in terms of quality and finish. I would say the one problem I had was the machining was not excellent in that my running line sometimes slipped between the reel and spool. You don't want to finally hook a fish only to look down and find your running line has slipped off and is tangled in your reel seat. That being said, I used mono running line which has a smaller diameter than a lot of other running lines such as Airflo Ridge Running. So, if you go with the Echo Ion, probably best to get Ridge running line or Rio's coated running line. Something to think about. Great reel for the price.
  8. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Thanks for all the info. I went for the Echo Ion 10/12 and the 600 Skajit head with the Ridge running line, as well as a couple of T 16.5 sink tips (8 foot and 12 foot). Now all I have to do (besides watching a TON of youtube videos on spey casting) is find some time to head out.
  9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    Make sure you make some time to practice before you head out for real. You may find that very helpful when the chips are down and the fish are present.
  10. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Silly question: I understand that anchor placement plays a big role in spey casting, but won't practicing in a field lead to very different results than practicing out on the water where the rod might load a bit more based on water resistance? I don't want to practice in a field and generate bad habits b/c of the different resistance grass provides. Maybe I am overthinking this?
  11. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    A field is a great place to practice. Practice forming D-loops on the grass. Watch the D-loop form optimally before coming forward on the cast. Grass casting should force you to slow down if you're doing it right. IMHO, if you can spey cast on the grass, you can cast almost anywhere.
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    I was actually suggesting that you find a piece of water and practice there with a piece of yarn on your tippet. That way you can get the feel without sticking a fly in your ear. I spent almost a year of weekends practicing and continue to do so when the season is closed. I was on the grass yesterday for about an hour.
  13. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Thanks for all the great advice guys. I have a park very close by, and some water time with yarn is good advice as well.
  14. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    The "Anchor Placement" is 'everything' with casting a 2hander line. Repeating myself here, but all spey casts are a 1-2-3. The '1' is the lift to get as much line out of the water as you can (rod length dependent). The '2' is the anchor placement and if you blow #1 you're not lifting, you're trying to drag the line back off the water. A NO-NO!!

The 'anchor' with a floating head is the end of the line and what ever you've got beyond same. (Lets leave Skagit's out of this for the moment, same but very different.) In simple terms its the anchor that allows you to load the rod for the rest of the cast. Fast/slow, makes no difference; the anchor is just that. The Anchor. Whole thing may take less than a second or two with many casts, but it is still that, as brief as it may be.

#3 is the formulation of the 'D loop' and forward casting stroke.
    flybill likes this.
  15. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Thank you Fred.;)
  16. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Fred's the man.
  17. Yooper Member

Underwood,WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    My advice if your just getting started would be to pony up and get a casting lesson. It will pay in the short and long run.
    fredaevans likes this.
  18. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Well, a casting lesson is also good advice. I went out the other day and good success on the river (casting not fishing), and I have a couple of friends who have been spey casting since mid 1990s, and as long as they don't have bad habits, they'll provide good feedback. Still, a formal lesson may be a good way to instill some fundamentals beyond what I've gotten from youtube videos and my own work on grass and water.