Need realistic yellow jacket pattern HELP!! Will pay $$

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jmara6864, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jmara6864 Active Member

Kirkland
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    Hello there, I am in need of a realistic yellow jacket pattern!! Does anyone know how to tie a good one?? I am willing to pay well for a good one. Trying to get a few before this weekend. Please PM me or text Joey at 206 455 0685. Thanks!
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    What's wrong with the McGinty(sp). The spelling might be wrong but it used to work for me. It looks like a fat yellow jacket, with a red tail. Most if not all fly shops sell them.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +88 / 1
    What about tying a yellow foam 'ant' with an elk hair wing and adding black sharpie to it after?
    Kcahill likes this.
  4. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +664 / 0

This my friend is your calling to start fly tying.
    tonemike likes this.
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,709 / 0
    As you mention "realistic yellow jacket pattern" do you mean to fish with the fly or is it part of a prank?

Yellow Jackets are not normally something trout go wild about. I've watched the bees struggle on the surface of a lake and there is no way a fish wouldn't have noticed yet nothing rose to the bugs.
  6. jmara6864 Active Member

Kirkland
  7. jmara6864 Active Member

Kirkland
    This is for fishing, I have a stream with very large Westslope cutts that eat yellow jackets all day long. It seems to be their main food source this time of year. They hover just above the water in every hole dipping themselves into the water every so often and hungry trout sip them up. There is an extremely large amount of yellow jackets in the area for some unknown reason.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,709 / 0
    I'll be darned. That's a new one for me. I've had luck with other terrestrial bug patterns but have never done worth a hoot with a bee pattern.
  9. chewydog Active Member

Golden, Colorado
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    This is absolutely no help, but I've always thought this pattern looked cool.
    [IMG]
    No help 'cause the tier lives in Macedonia.
    Does seem odd that fish would key on these.
    This is off of Han's site. Tier: Igor Stancev and Nadica Stanceva
    jmara6864 likes this.
  10. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    Send a message to Big-E, he's one of the administrators. He does custom fly orders and is very good! I'm sure he will gladly tie you up some at a reasonable price. I have placed orders from him along with a few others from the forum. Great stuff you'll be glad you did.
  11. rodeo11 Meat chucker

MT
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    [IMG]

Member Riseform tied this one, maybe give him a shout.
    Robert Engleheart likes this.
  12. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    I just returned from a great fly fishing trip from a well known Westslope Cutthroat fishery and witnessed the same hovering clouds of yellow jacket like insects at many sections along this river. What I discovered was that these were not yellow jackets but flies that mimic their coloration. You might be witnessing the same thing.
  13. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    come on....are you really trying to catch fish with this pattern or just scare your girlfriend! Even the fish know this thing can sting and bite!
    jmara6864 likes this.
  14. jmara6864 Active Member

Kirkland
    Thanks for the heads up but I am very sure they are yellow jackets. I've been stung by them and there are so many around it would be hard to mistake them. :)
  15. jmara6864 Active Member

Kirkland
    I've been catching these fish on bee flies for a few years and witnessing the same feeding habits for the same amount of time. The fish on the Yak eat a lot of bees too ya know! Try pumping their stomachs ;)
  16. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,035 / 1
    The current edition of Northwest Fly Fishing has a number of good articles in it. One of which is Bees: The McGinty and it's progeny. I've felt for years the thing that makes the McGinty work is the white tip of the wing. I felt white wings got more strikes.
  17. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,338 / 0
    My best dry fly day I can recall was when the trout keyed in on yellowjackets. I was using a semi-realistic foam bee with some success, and was bummed when a big fish broke me off. Digging through my boxes looking for a replacement, I found an old McGinty floating around. The fish crushed it, even more so than the more realistic version. I finished the day with over forty fish landed, at least thirty on the old school pattern. I've been waiting on this phenomenon to happen to me again, but now that I'm prepared, I haven't seen the trout key in on bees like that since.
    JesseC likes this.
  18. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +773 / 0

Isn't that the shakes?! Same thing happened to me and craneflies. I was on a river and they were all over the place - so much so that my wife was creeped out and wanted to go back to the car. I cut up a skwala pattern and that worked "ok". Obviously that evening I bought a ton of cranefly imitations. I've never been on the river since then when they've hatched.
  19. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
  20. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    dryflylarry likes this.