Need realistic yellow jacket pattern HELP!! Will pay $$

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jmara6864, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Bees can't bite. They can only sting you

2. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

When it comes to Yellowjackets, I wouldn't put biting past the little carnivorous bastards!

3. fishunt

fishunt Member

The latest Northwest Fly Fishing magazine has a article about bees (p. 12). The article also shows 4 or 5 patterns with a couple of them straight-forward ties. This has been a bad year for yellow jackets!

4. Cti111

Cti111 Member

Galloup's site has a few nice bee flies. Try them like an attractor fly - you might be pleasantly suprised...

5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Um, that is soooo not true. Yellow Jackets and Bald Face hornets both bite and sting. Just ask my son :eek:

Those two bees bite him (and sting) more than anyone in our family. Poor kid must smell like a piece of rotten chicken to them.

6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

On topic -- that's cool and weird. I count myself among people who see bee and wasp patters as mostly a novelty. I don't doubt the OP's description at all. It would be cool to see.

Off topic -- Bee's are quite different from Wasps.

Wasps can (and do) bite and sting repeatedly. Bee's (if I recall correctly) all die after they sting, sting once and cannot bite.

My latest, least favorite member of the Order is the "Goddamn Paperwasp" as I like to call them. They've been thick this year and I've been stung several times. I have a friend in the hills south of Spokane who is plagued by yellow jackets this year. The traps she puts out are nearly full after a few hours. Like thousands of them. There is a constant low hum at their farm from all the YJ. Hope for a hard winter.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I stand corrected. I haven't seen that many bees this year. A few Yellow jackets now and then, but no bees.

8. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Member

You are onto it. My opinion, yellowjackets are the most important terrestrial august-september. The imitation outfishes grasshoppers on my homewater. They hunt other insects over the water. The 'dipping' behavior is yellowjackets snatching tiny midges from the surface. here's my favorite: http://soft-hacklejournal.blogspot.com

9. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Member

Whoops. You'll have to scroll down through the October caddis article to get to the yellowjacket, but worth it all the way around.

jmara6864 likes this.
  10. jmara6864

jmara6864 Active Member

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free