Need recommendation for reel service

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sagebrush, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Ive owned my CFO IV reel and extra spools since the late 80's, and they've seed a fair amount use. Ive got a couple of dings, and the gears are a bit worn.
    I also just purchased a 2nd CFO IV off of ebay along with a spare spool, great condition, however the spare spool doesn't turn so easily, I cant figure out why, almost looks like the gear was pressed on too tight causing the spool surface to be a bit concave?
    Does anyone know of someone who works on these reels and maybe can do a little re-conditioning on my old reel?
  2. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    Tom White Rod and Reel Repair. Google it. He is in Albany, New York. Great service. Fair prices. He hs done 4 reels for me. Well worth sending them to him.
  3. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    First step would be to get in touch with Orvis.
    Second step would be to contact Archuleta's Reel Works. He is in Grants Pass and can do anything that could possibly need to be done.

http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/home

TC
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    thanks guys good to have a couple of choices. I plan on sending them during the off season in winter, cant bear to fish with out them.
  5. whalenblue Member

North Carolina
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Great sources - thanks.
  6. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Try Bill Archuleta. I just had him work on my Salmon 2. Lot me know if you want his number. He's top shelf.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  7. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0

Sagebrush,

This may be a long shot, but I had a similar problem with one of my reels earlier this season.

Check the distance between the palming rim and body of your reel. My palming rim was slightly bent and touched the body of the reel, making the reel bind up. I discovered the bend in the palming reel by slowly spinning he reel while watching the clearance between the palming reel and body of the reel. I took a pair of pliers, bent the reel back into place and it now works perfectly.

The risk in bending the palming reel back is breaking the metal. I lucked out. Check the distance between your palming reel and the body of the reel.
  8. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Good to have the positive reviews, and it ooks like Achuleta is in Southern Oregon, that's nice and close. I see that he has a phone number listed on his website as well.
    Greg, when you say bending the palming reel, are you referring to the outermost section of the the spool or the part next to the gear? I need to take a closer look and try to figure out where the bind is occuring