Need to reward myself with a new 3wt

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Aug 2, 2014.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

My physical therapist says I am making remarkable progress and should be able to fish again by the first of October. I am gullible enough to believe her and determined to prove her right.

I have a quiver full of 8 1/2 and 9' rods but suspect that they will still be a little more than I want to swing by that time and want to get a 7'6'' 3wt for stream fishing. The Redington CT 7'6'' 3wt looks like exactly what I need. I have several other CT's and hear rave reviews about the 8'6'' 3wt but very little about the shorter model. Any comments on this stick? It is on sale again at $99 so it certainly won't break the bank.

This will be my reward for being a good boy and doing my reps!

Ive

2. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

I have never fished the CT in any configuration, but congratulations on the improvement. I think that's a fantastic reward.

Olive bugger likes this.
  3. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Congrats, Ive. I hope you exceed the PT's expecatations. Best wishes.

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Congrats! Go with a bamboo.

Mark Moore likes this.
  5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Way to go, Ivan! My only Redington is a 10' CPX 8 wt, so I can't speak to the rod you referenced. My 3 wt is a TFO finesse; I can say that I like that rod. October will be here before you know it; keep healing.

6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I'm pretty sure that what you really want is a 7'4" 4wt Echo glass rod (like mine...great little rod, just a little redundant in my collection)

;)

Ron McNeal likes this.
  7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Tell me again what part of fly fishing isn't an exercise... both physically and mentally. Glad to hear you are getting well. I think you will really love the CT; October aligns with St. Joe time... just saying :D.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have two 3wt's one is a TFO Finesse rod that is 7'9" and another that was put together by Flybill it is a 7'6" Blank forgotten. This happens when you get over 78. They get a lot of use when the sun is warm on my back.
    I paid $179.95 for the TFO. I figured it was good money spent. The other one was free. You can't beat a free rod no matter what.

9. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

I have a 2wt CT and fished it Thursday. Great little rod, especially when you factor in the cost. I don't think you'll be disappointed, pull the trigger on it.

10. Echo Carbon 7'6" 3 wt. You will not be disappointed.

11. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

My echo carbon 6wt has worked very nicely for just about everything!

12. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Go with bamboo

Mark Moore likes this.
  13. kmac

kmac Active Member

The CT is a great rod. I have the 8 1/2' 4 wt. When I want to do some nymphing I appreciate the length. Having had my own experiences with shoulder and back injuries I know going with a light graphite rod is the way to go when you're recovering from an injury. Of course in a 3 wt 71/2' rod fiberglass and bamboo should not feel heavy.

14. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ive, I can't help you with the 7.5' 3wt CT but I absolutely love my 8' 3wt CT. I bought the 8" as it is a 6pc and I wanted it for travel and backpacking otherwise I'd have purchased the 7.5'.

Ed Call likes this.
  15. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Other than for spey, I fish either glass or bamboo these aging days. LCParks made a superb 3wt bamboo but has ceased production this year. If you can find one, give it a serious consideration.
    I had CBarclay finish a Dennis Stone made FE Thomas "Fairy" blank for me that's a beautiful gem. His glass rods are top shelf.
    http://cbarclayflyrods.com/rods/in-stock-rod/

16. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

I have a 2wt 7'6" and like it fine.
    I would buy the 6pc 8' 3wt, if I found one.
    My current 3wt is an older Loomis GL3 2pc, other than portability, it is wonderful.

17. rory

rory Go Outside

Get a 1 weight.

18. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

FWIW, I do not have nor have I ever fished the CT. I do have a sage blank that was made into a rod, that is 7'9" two weight. I am not all that satisfied with the handling of the rod and am thinking of up lining it to a 3 wt. As it is, it is ok, but to my thought, it does not SING. Perhaps a line up with tune it up some.

About you recovery, I hope it is fast and complete.

19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I have both the 8'6" and the 7'6" Redington CT. The 7'6" has a noticeably faster action than the 8'6". They are two different rods. I really like the way my 7'6" casts, though. I lined it with the same DT 3 wt floater I use with the 8'6" CT. I suspect that it might load up nicely at shorter ranges with a wf 4 wt line, but I haven't tried that yet.
    I have just cast this rod in my yard on the grass, and am dying to go fish it.

20. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Actually, Ive, you might want to consider this, or a 2. The CT 3 wt. 8'6" is probably my favorite of all I have, but I love my little Orvis 1 wt. Superfine too. I have a friend with the Echo Carbon 2 wt--it's OK. I like my CT and 1 wt. a lot better. For that size I'd be looking at glass too.