New build by a new builder.....

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Joe Mateas, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Joe Mateas Member

CA Delta
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    One of my newest builds(out of the 5 I have built)... The rod is built on a no name 12' 7wt 4pc spey blank, since I don't do any spey fishing I decided to try it out as a 3pc 9' 9wt rod. The action is prtty fast but not broom stick fast and cast a outbound 9wt line(375gr) great. The blank has a very nice olive color that looks very similar to the GLoomis CC rods. I was so happy with the rod that I'm building one for a buddy for his birthday and a second for myself. The best part of it is I am getting the blank kit wit all the components for $65 plus what ever the handle I choose to use costs. Just plain black wraps I've not ventured into the fancy stuff yet, I'm just happy to get the finish on the guides without getting a bunch of bubbles in it. The handle is one of NIrodneck's that I picked up a while ago.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. WABOWMAN Member

Port Townsend,WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Nice!
    Craig Hardt likes this.
  3. djabu New Member

Finland
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Don't know why these carbon fibre stuff makes me feel sick.. Maybe they just don't belong to fly rod.
  4. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Your just jealous! Nice rod and cool fish!
  5. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Very nice! Not a bad reel either.
  6. Joe Mateas Member

CA Delta
    Yup, jealousy is an ugly trait especially when displayed for the public to see.....

Hey djabu, maybe we should scrap these new fangled graphite rods too, bamboo is what real fly rods are made from.....

Dave, Waboman, and Navajoe, thanks for the positive comments I really enjoy fishing this rod. As for the fish.... it was the only striper I got when testing the rod out, I should have some better ones to show when the spring run gets going.
  7. Half Pounder Member

Pacific Northwest
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Interesting build. Did you use standard guide spacing from a chart?
  8. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Holy crap I miss the delta! I got some good spots down there I'm from Fresno. Biggest one I got from the delta was a 13 pounder. Later that day my buddy hooked up on a sturgeon and snapped his rod.
  9. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Holy crap I miss the delta! I got some good spots down there I'm from Fresno. Biggest one I got from the delta was a 13 pounder. Later that day my buddy hooked up on a sturgeon and snapped his rod.
  10. Joe Mateas Member

CA Delta
    I used guide spacing from a Hardy 9wt rod and test cast it before wrapping it up.

The delta is great, my biggest there is around 20 but it was on a top water plug with casting gear. My biggest striper on the fly was almost 15, I'm hoping to break that this year when they'r in the valley rivers (feather,yuba,sac,&amer.). There's already been a few 40+lbr's caught this year.
  11. NIrodneck Member

Dover,ID
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I just checked in and saw this post. Nice build Joe! Love the reel with the grip. There are many who do not like the carbon fiber grips because of aesthetics but functionally they are superior to cork. They are lighter and more rigid, also cheaper to build than true grade flor cork. My cork rings that I have that are as good as any and cost$2+ a 1/2". Many builders have gone to burl cork because of more consistent material and lower cost but is also much heavier. Cork anymore feels soft and spongy to me but I will build to what a customer wants. You can also dress up CF. I will be posting another switch soon that has mostly a CF grip with wood and acrylic highlights.
  12. Joe Mateas Member

CA Delta
    I love the feel of the carbon handle, it almost feels sticky. I have another handle and butt sitting on my desk waiting for a blank to call home and I can see a few more in my future.