New(ish) member - Introduction

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 10incher, Jun 18, 2013.

1. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Hello all. Been lurking a bit here some. I moved to Whidbey Is. seven years ago and have fished Pass, NF Snoqualmie and the Samish. Not a lake guy, so Pass wasn't a joy. Lot's of kicking and not much catching. The NF Sno was beautiful. But too many dinks and not much chance of a surprise if you get my meaning. The upper Samish felt like familiar water. But I found no trout. I did spot a pod of hatchery kings doing their thing. All I had was the 4wt. Lami F904-3 rod that I made. It would've been like shooting at elephants with a bb gun!?! Other than that I get out on odd years for some pinks in the salt. I'm just now looking into some close local waters. I'm considering the SF Sky, the NF Tolt and Cherry creek beaver ponds. These probably seem like obvious choices to some. There are more anglers here than where I came from so there's not much chance of finding a great secret spot. Now... Where I came from...

I lived in San Jose California. I would make the occasional trip to Putah creek or the upper Sac. But most of my time was spent scouting local creeks that were often adjacent to cities. My favorite was a small creek that flowed out of the Santa Cruz mountains and through San Jose. There was about three miles of nicely shaded, tail water in a riparian area at the edge of the city. Twelve minutes from my house. I never saw another angler on this water. You could hop over it in most places. Small stream. Fish were seven to ten inches on average. BUT... There was often the chance for a surprise!!! I caught several fish between ten and twelve inches on that stream. And I tell people that the grandest trout I ever caught was thirteen inches long! That's not the largest trout. But the grandest. Because I caught it on that creek. Where it was about as out of place as a nine foot tall person walking through a mall. Anyway...

I love small streams, and I don' need BIG fish. I may be spoiled by the good thing I had, but I'd love to find a place that didn't have such hard ceiling on the small size of these barren stream fish around here. Preferably a place I could get to in a couple of hours (from Whidbey). Re learning the game in a new place is frustrating, but I'm starting to get excited about it again.
    Irafly likes this.
  2. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 0
    10, that's a good post to start out with. Welcome to the board.

About your fishing predicament..... I'd start out by making the Whidbey Island Fly Fishers monthly meeting a regular stop. More experience there than you can shake a rod at, and you just might need that experience because of what you wanna do. Honestly, trout fishing of the kind you're looking for isn't easy from where you are. I lived in Oak Harbor for a few years, so I know. But there are a few places that can be productive. I suggest you begin to explore the Olympic Peninsula. And learn to like stillwater; that's still your best close option for catching trout. I've put in many good days catching rainbows and browns with dry flies on Pass and Lone. Bobber fishing with chironomids can seem mysterious and about as exciting as watching paint dry....until you start doing it with someone who really knows what they're doing. BTW, there's plenty of fishing on the East side of Washington that's exactly what you're looking for. You simply moved to the wrong side of the state!

Again, welcome to the board.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,396 / 0
    PM sent.
  4. SteveA Gnu to the board

Western WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Welcome. I will second encouraging you not to give up on stillwater. Same tools but it's a different game with a new skill set that can be just as much fun as moving water. When it comes to trout in western WA you are short changing yourself if you exclude lakes.
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,110 / 0
    Good grief no! Don't give up on flyfishing lakes in Washington or Oregon. The larger trout live in the lakes in both states. True, stillwater flyfishing is a different ball game but once you learn the rules, you will start catching more and larger trout. That's why I switched over from stream fishing.

Besides, it's fun.

BTW: welcome aboard.
  6. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Thanks for all the encouragement gents. I still have my eye on moving water for the most part. I'll be happy to fish still water when I can do it with a floating line though. I sure don't want to come off like a snob or a purist, but for me sink line fishing is too much like spin or bait fishing. Which I do, but it's not my kind of fly fishing. Trout do rise on lakes. I just haven't been there when it's happened yet. I did a two week job in Anacortes that had me driving past Pass every day. So I would stop and nymph the parking area for fifteen minutes on my way to work. I caught more and bigger fish in the parking area than I ever did in a tube! And I've driven by there when I couldn't stop and saw fish rings when no one was on the water! It's a new game that I'll have to (that I GET to) learn. I do have two lakes here on Whidbey I can play on too. The regs indicate that Lone no longer allows motors!!! Nice for us, but the spin guys are going to get grumpy about it. Old Man was good to send me a PM. It seems he reads maps the same way I do. My maps already had highlight marker on all the places he mentioned.
    I feel warmly welcomed. And glad to be in like minded company.

P.S. Steve... Your dog rocks!
  7. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    I just added the avatar to my profile. It's a picture of my little creek in San Jose, Ca. I didn't take the pic. I nabbed it from Google images. I would have taken a picture of a pool. Can anyone guess the name?

Ok.. Unfair. I did a search and it seems that on this forum only Rick Todd and snarlac are aware of trout in this city edge creek. It's the lower Guadalupe creek between the reservoir and the river. Unfortunately, the year before I moved, all the trout in the creek developed "black spot". Along with almost every other trout in the Bay Area. I know the cause. But that's another story.