New Quadrate Bamboo Fly Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Troutcreek, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Troutcreek Active Member

white Salmon, Washington
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    This rod took a long time to finish, and I ended up scraping a few sections due to glue lines and other problems. Quads are deceiving, they look easier, but are substantially harder to build than a hex rod. In the end it all adds to the fun.

This rod is a 7’ 4 wt based on an Edwards taper. The ferrules are drawn from tubing then the base is re-formed with a square punch.

The rod seems to cast a Cortlant 4 DT peach pretty well, but stream time and real fishing are the real test.
    IMG_4285.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Very, very nice. I wish I had that kind of talent. The rod looks beautiful, and is a true testament to your craftsmanship.

I'm curious... what do you notice is different in casting characteristics with the quad compared to a hex rod? I've never cast a quad and have always thought about this.

Again, beautiful rod!
  3. Troutcreek Active Member

white Salmon, Washington
    Greg, Thank for the compliments.
    There is a lot of hype about Quadrate rods. It is commonly said that they are more accurate because the rod tip tracks perfectly with the flat sides. I’ve also heard that they don’t do some type of casts because the flat sides don’t allow the tip to bend in any direction other than 90 deg. I don’t believe this to be true and well made hex rod (or graphite or glass ) rod tip tracks just as well and casting has more to do with the caster than the tool.
    That said, Quads are different. If you copied a Hex rod taper to Quadrate you need to reduce the diameter 5% to 8%. Quads have more power-fibers allowing a small diameter rod to cast the same line weight. This gives the rod a lighter, crisper, and more powerful feel. Casting Hex and Quad side by side they feel very different.
    Take care and thanks again,
    Ray
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Beautiful rod. You are very talented.
  5. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 3
    Nice rod! Did you make the strips with a milling machine or Morgan Hand Mill, or with planing forms?

Tom
  6. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    Awesome job on the rod. Love the color of the wraps on the guides to the color of the blank. Well done!
  7. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Beautiful rod! I refinished a bamboo rod, but have never built a blank. I hope to sometime soon!
  8. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    Very nice. One of my favorite wrap colors and really like the way you dealt with the transition from square blank to round handle.

TC
  9. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    In my experience, quads also allow the caster to vary power in a cast on the fly by casting the square or turning the rod 45 degrees and casting the diamond. The diamond stiffens the rod a bit for a longer cast or casting in wind.
  10. Troutcreek Active Member

white Salmon, Washington
    I’m back in town after a long weekend away. As always it is nice to be home. Thanks again for the positive comments.
    To be honest my Quadrate work has a ways to go before it is clean but I’m making progress.
    This rod and the bulk of my other rods are made on a Morgan Hand Mill. Wonderful versatile and well supported tool.
    The wraps are YLI 100 wt. silk in Grey/Green and it is one of my favorite colors (#247).
    The cork transition is ebony and my goal was to fabricate something similar to
    those used by Edwards.
    Best regards,
  11. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +80 / 6
    Nice rod, wraps and finish are great. Also like the transition from cork to ebony.
  12. Rodney Bauer New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Great transition piece in the ebony from rod to cork. Some very complex curves there.
  13. Troutcreek Active Member

white Salmon, Washington
    Rodney,
    Thank you very much. I made the ebony piece on a router using a pivoting jig for safety. Edwards used a similar piece made from a hard plastic like bakelite or hard rubber.
    Ray