New to pontoons and looking for suggestions:

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pwoens, Jul 17, 2002.

1. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was reading the post by Mark in regards to pontoons, but had a few questions of my own.

I just got a Bucks South Fork handed to me and have been using it on local lakes but not on any rivers yet. Im a bit concerned about rapids and not being able to control the boat through them leading to the loss of my gear? Any hints or suggestions. I plan on hitting the rivers a few times with no gear and a BIG pfd :BIGSMILE .

I have been told this is a good solid boat and that I should not have any problems. My biggest concern is the yard sale factor. If I loose my rod and reel, my wife will probably take matters into her own hands. Literally :EEK

I guess I am basically looking for suggestions. Should I take a class or go with experienced wave riders, should I devise a solid rod holder, should I wear my vest over my pfd, etc???

Thanks for any input you can offer.
    ~pwo

2. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Media:
    Get ready for some fun! Pontoon's open up tons of new water that was once unreachable via foot.

Most rivers around here are pretty mellow (at least the areas that you would be fishing) giving you a steady flow and some rollers. Watch out for the occasional whirlpool, they will stop your pontoon on a dime and give you a little thrill.

It's good you are talking pdf...i always carry mine but have to admit I only put it on for the faster water stretches.

If you like to play in the faster water, the safe bet is to bust down your rod and strap it to the side of the pontoon, you can rig up velcro straps that fit the bill just fine. (You need to be able to spin around if you get hung up on a rock or something and you don't want your rod banging into rocks and branches)

***remember too, your tubes will vary in pressure with the temp. I'm looking around for a smaller hand pump to carry with that doesn't take up much space...for topping them off***

have fun with it! :THUMBSUP

3. mtp1032

mtp1032 New Member

Here's another good practice: If you cart your pontoon boat over Snoqualmie pass, be sure to deflate your pontoons. Just to be safe, I let about a third of the air out.

Also, the first time on a river, go with someone who has floated that particular river before and let him lead. He can show you how to avoid the sweepers and how to control your direction in the rapids.

But, it's really, really simple and a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Michael

4. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Start on an easy river. Once you get a feel for the boat's handling and stability move to a little rougher water. And as already mentioned, go with someone who's more experienced and let them lead.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree with what's stated above. And since you were given boat, that's even better. How the boat will work for you really dictates on style of fishing you do. If you're purely a bankangler looking to jump hole to hole, then these are the boats for you. It's true, most decent water is in mellow runs. BUT, not all. You wouldn't want to do hell's half mile on the Calawah in one of these boats. You also wouldn't want to run some upper stretches of rivers either (which have some good fly water). But, if you only plan to use it as a transportation vehicle, you're good to go.

Also, about tubes, it's best to leave your tubes off the boat all together if you put on roof. Debri hitting it at 60mph isn't good on those style boats (usually made with lower grade fabrics). But it can be done, I mostly left mine up on roof, but my tubes did pay the price. Little pock holes from rocks and such hitting airfoil going over my Blazer. I mostly tow my boats on a cataraft trailer I made, so mine stays to the rear, not on top.

Good luck, you're damned now. The more you use them, the more you'll want to upgrade. LOL

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."