New to salmon fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Budget is an issue so for now just trying to figure out the basics, learn a bit more, then buy better gear as needed as I progress and learn exactly what it is I want and why I want it.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Then absolutely use what you got and just get out and fish! Thats the most important part anyway, time spent on the water

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  3. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

If you're on a budget and think you'll be in this game for a while, for like12 bucks Fred Meyer sells spools of like 250yrds of maxima ultragreen...as opposed to buying the little 30yd spools for 5 bucks at a fly shop. Keep it out of the sun and cold and it will last you a long time.

4. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

I like the William and joseph retractable stripping basket, It is much lighter , does not get in the way and is not as bulky or cumbersome than the plastic ones.

5. Nick Clayton

That may be the first endorsement for that William and Joseph basket I've ever read. I thought it seemed like a cool idea once, and asked around, and it seemed almost univerally disliked. Several folks offered to send me theirs for the cost of postage.

I had a mesh one for a spell,and while it worked it didn't work well. I think hard plastic is "super tits", but obviously use what works for you.

I'm glad the W and J works for you, Cutt. Always seemed like it would be a sweet concept.

Steve Knapp likes this.
  6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Just say no to mess baskets. You'll thank me later.
    No holes in the plastic ones as well......
    SF

DimeBrite and Steve Knapp like this.
  7. Nick Clayton

After a few seasons I'm finally ready to concede on the no holes thing. I think I'll be plugging mine this winter. Really started to annoy me this year.

DimeBrite and Stonefish like this.
  8. Andrew Shoemaker

Went out for my first salmon day today and had a blast. Everyone's advice really contributed to the priceless amounts of fun I had. Landed 3 nice chum and hooked up with probably more than a dozen that I wasn't able to pull in (hopefully more experience means that happens less). All it took was one day and the first fish to get me addicted to salmon fishing. I'll be in this game a while I just know it.

9. Nick Clayton

Nice work! Way to get out there and make it happen.

Just a friendly bit of advice.... Be careful naming specific places on the main forum. You'd be surprised how many folks may be looking ;)

10. Andrew Shoemaker

That thought crossed my mind Nick after posting. I figured it was just a popular and known spot though. Is there anywhere to edit posts here so I can remove that?

11. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Congratulations Andrew. I hope you have many years of successful saltwater salmon fishing in your future. It can be very challenging and unpredictable, but it is a blast. After you get done with the chum, you can fish for cutthroat, resident silver salmon, and blackmouth (immature chinook salmon) during the winter and into the spring with your 6 weight.

Also, you can edit your posts anytime when logged into WFF.

12. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Subject: Stripping Basket, Hey Andrew you can spend $80-$100 bucks on a Pro basket and wonder why there is no holes in bottom to drain the water out I agree wi th Steve my basket cost $3 at Goodwill