New To Vancouver, wanna do some fly fishing...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TheNoob, Jul 30, 2013.

1. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Hey guys, im new to vancouver and to this forum... found it online while googling places to fly fish earlier today. Know i had to make a account:)..
    Anyways, i come from northern montana, and there i have fishing mostly spinning.. well right before i moved away, i started getting into fly fishing. So Bought myself some ok gear to start and see if i like it. I LOVE it!
    Enough talking about myself, but i will be buying some new gear and getting licensed in washington this week, i was wondering where do i go? I've only been here a couple months, so have not really searched around yet.
    is there some books, magazines, threads about places in this area? I like more of the streams and rivers kinda fishing.
    (I went to lackamas lake here, and after the damn and the water falls i want to give that place a try. A buddy of mine spin fishes it and says has some nice brookies in there, what do you guys think that being the first place i try over here? or have any better places?)
    BTW: if anyone has any GOOD deals locally on some gear as in a rod(4 piece, 6WT, reel 6 WT, waders, vest, etc.. PM me i might be interested. Used is ok also, as long as in good condition.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Welcome to the best Fly Fishing site around in the lower 48.

You really didn't say from where you are at. There are two Vancouver's in the area of the upper NW corner of the USA.

If you hadn't said you fished Lacamas Lake, I wouldn't know where you were coming from.

Since you were once living in Montana you will probably be disappointed in the lack of trout fishing.

3. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
  4. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

I just got my license a few days ago, and ill be picking up a rod tomorrow morning. So im excited. Cant wait to get out there, and try to catch something!
    sorry for not making it clear earlier, but im from vancouver, wa. orchards area.

5. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Never caught any brookies below the dam. With the warm weather, there proly isnt enough water to keep anything in that little trickle.
    Check out Kress lake near Kalama. It is a put n take lake, but you can get a bend in your rod.
    Goose is a nice lake as well.

6. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

I will definitely give that a try. Thank you guys so much.
    Well I do have a question.. That I'm unsure off. I was taught a 5wt reel put 5wt line. A 8wt reel put 8wt line on. Could you do 8wt reel and put 5wt line?? It came up earlier today and I'm unsure.

7. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    You can always put a smaller line on a bigger reel.

8. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Then good. Because I just picked this up, I still think the reel is a little to big might downsize to a smaller one. But I think it evens the weight out a little better in my opinion with a little heavier reel. Time to load up some line! :)

Attached Files:

9. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Over time you'll want to diversify your reels, but having a heavier reel won't have any major impact on your cast for fishing, especially starting out. All the competition casters use the lightest reel they can during distance competitions, as maximizing hand speed will give you that extra little bit. Anglers tend to be more worried about how the reel balances the rod, but even then the impact is minimal.

10. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Dang! I was gonna say just go buy a Pfleuger el cheapo reel, but it looks like you have a taste for the high dollar stuff.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Just because a reel looks expensive doesn't mean it is. I've got two reels from Allen Fly Fishing that look like that reel shown. I got them both for a song. They are both good reels.

I can't spell for shit today and my trying sucks also.

12. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Haha, it is the pflueger! It's the trion, but a big one! But I do plan on buying another reel in the future.. But for now I just wanna get fishing!!

13. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    I was talking bout the Sage VXP, but the reel didnt look too bad either. You can find the Pflueger Medalist for like $30.

14. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Welcome to the area ,and website. It is always exciting when fresh fish I MEAN NEW PEOPLE join this community. Welcome my friend. :)

15. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to be here, and lots to learn.

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hey dummy. Real is spelled Reel. Lets get it right, Ty.

tythetier likes this.
  17. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

The best fishing within a couple hours of Vancouver is bass fishing in the Columbia river. Minnow patterns and deer hair surface bugs are best also wolley buggers can be good.

you'll have to pick your days carefully however as the wind tends to blow in the Columbia river gorge. the best fishing is above Bonneville dam. Between Stevenson and the Dalles dam has the best size while The Dalles Dam to Mcnary has the most fish and the best access.

Over the next 6-8 weeks will be the best top water action as the American shad fry emerge and begin migrating towards the ocean.

early morning and late evening are the best fishing sturdy hiking boots are needed for walking the rocks or small craft can be launched in many places with care.

18. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Fixed it for ya OMJ! lol...

19. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

well, i was thinking today and decided i wanna go a smaller reel, i like this one but its a little to big. So hopefully i can get set up with a new reel tomorrow:)

20. TheNoob

TheNoob New Member

Well I got a report for you guys.. And I need a lot of work on my fishing! :(
    But I've been out twice already, and got a little baby one. But practice makes perfect right?
    Anyone wanna go fishing with me one of these days?:)