New To Vancouver, wanna do some fly fishing...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TheNoob, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mrdon New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    might try Goose lake north of Carson great lake and some fish
  2. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Mr Noob,
    Disclaimer...I know nothing about the salt, tides, or migrating fish.
    I had my son in law out this week( also a newbie) over on a couple of the Oregon coastal rivers reported to hold some Sea Run Cutts. Neither of us have ever fished for them.
    He did great with a 5wt, 5x leader and a size 12 Yellow Deer Hair Humpy. The cutts we found will take the dry fly casted 3/4 upstream alongside a "run" ( choppy water) and drifted down through the tailout. When your fly starts to drag at the end ( or if you have a lousy drift) you can skate the fly back towards you. If you are in good water watch for strikes on your first casts and be ready. The SRC's we found weren't big (6 to13") but they were fun and gave us a chance to work on reading water, getting in position with some stealth and making a nice short cast with a couple simple mends.
    I would think any small-medium sized coastal Washington River would be good too. We fished the upper level of tidewater influence at the time the tides were going down. Check the regs and talk to a shop.
    Have fun my man.
    Chris
    Missoula
  3. TheNoob New Member

Vancouver, WA
    Decided to bump this.. I have been very busy Latley and have not had any time to go out at all. But Im going out tomorrow morning to lewisville park I hear steelhead running through there right now so I'll give it a try. Any pointers or tips? Thanks guys.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Don't have waders. Use a couple of plastic garbage bags on your feet and legs. And just wear tennis shoes. It will look like hell, but you can keep dry just as you don't wade to deep.
  5. TheNoob New Member

Vancouver, WA
    Problem solved. I like the way you think!
  6. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Did you get anything?? I am free either Wednesday or Thursday this week if you want to get out. Just gotta know what day.
  7. Breck Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    You have a lot of options in SW Washington. I'll list a few for you.

Rivers & Streams for Trout:
    • North Fork of the Lewis River above Swift Reservoir. You can park your rig at Eagle Cliff and there is a nice trail that runs along the river. There are wild rainbows in this stretch of the Lewis. WDFW has also planted coho and chinook in Swift Reservoir. They move up into the river to spawn. Wild bull trout are also in the system, however, it is illegal to target them.
    • Canyon Creek is another option for wild trout. It does close to fishing over certain times of the year, so check your regs.
    • The Cowlitz River has an incredible run of hatchery sea-run cutthroat in the late Summer/early Fall (one of my all-time favorite fisheries), as well as steelhead and salmon. This river can be difficult to fish without a boat, however, as there is little foot access.
    • The NF (below the reservoirs) and EF Lewis rivers also get runs of wild sea-run cutthroats, as well as salmon and steelhead.
    • The Kalama can be a good bet for wild SRCs as well. Again, salmon and steelhead can be found in abundance during certain times of the year. The upper Kalama has a stretch that is fly fishing only. There is plenty of good fly water on the Kalama.
    • I would recommend forking over the dough and getting an Oregon license. The lower Deschutes River in central OR is one of the nation's best blue ribbon trout rivers. It's a bit of a drive (2.5 hrs) from Vancouver, but worth it, especially in the spring when the redside rainbows are spawning.
    • Many of the Coastal Rivers are also good for trout.
    Stillwater for Trout:
    • Merrill Lake is a fantastic fly-only fishery, as long as you have some sort of floating device without a gas motor. Merrill has big browns, cutts, 'bows, and brookies. Beautiful scenery as well. In July, Merrill has one of the largest hexagenia hatches I've ever seen and dry fly fishing with hex patterns can be lights out. Other times of the year, on windy days, fishing ant patterns near the brush can be very productive. Slow trolling streamer/leech/bugger patterns with a full-sink line can be very productive as well.
    • Icicle Lake by Bonneville Dam on Highway 14 holds browns and rainbows. You might even find a spawned-out steelhead in there as well.
    • Goose Lake, although I've never fished it, has a great reputation.
    Well, there are a few options to get you started. If you would like more info, feel free to PM me. I'll give you my phone number. I lived in Vancouver and have fished most of the water around that area for over 10 years. I can also put you in touch with some of my fishing buddies that still live in the area who are always looking for people to fish with.

Welcome to Washington.

-Breck