New to Washington Fishing

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Glider, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Glider New Member

Mt Vernon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I posted this in another location in the forum here and was advised that this would be a better location to post:

New to the forum here and new to fishing in Washington State. Just moved up here last year. Am fairly new at Fly Fishing having fished for trout in NM, OK, and AR and some grayling in Alaska. I have ordered a couple of books on fishing in the Northwest and would like to get recommendations on books, videos, and fly patterns to use here for Steelhead and Salmon. Are there any assortments that you guys could recommend? Thanks for your help and look forward to getting on the waters here!
  2. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +504 / 0
    welcome, with the skagit and stilly being close you have some great options, not to mention the sauk, nutsac, and some smaller streams. you single handing or double handing? you will learn quickly why so many people are using two handers now in washington
  3. Glider New Member

Mt Vernon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Single handing at the moment. Only fishing I have done is trout, with a bit of smallmouth. Never tried spey before but willing to learn anything once!
  4. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Welcome welcome. Some great free books right now on kindle. Honestly the best resource I have learned from so far is the kind people on this forum. I have made a few good friends already and they have taught me tons. Stay away from bassturds though.
  5. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Am I detecting some jealousy Daniel?
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  6. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    LOL No sir. Simply picking on a friend. The only thing I am jealous of are your cunning good looks and fishing expertise. :)
    anti.team likes this.
  7. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Oh my god did I really post that. I gotta go whipe the shit off my nose.
  8. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    I could tell you were kidding when you mentioned good looks, and fishing expertise. You surely have me confused with someone else!
  9. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    LOL
  10. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    To get back on track, if you haven't read the regulations, sit down for a few minutes and read them through. They can be confusing at first, and take some deciphering.
    plaegreid likes this.
  11. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Book called A steelheaders way is good. I have also heard good things about Dec Hogans book on steelheading. Also, buy your gear at your local fly shop. I learned that the hardway. Buying your gear from a reputable retailer like your local fly shop will not only support local economies, but also create a relationship with that shop which will pay back ten fold.
  12. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +620 / 0
    Stop getting his hopes up... We all know they will be confusing for all eternity.
    Olive bugger, plaegreid and anti.team like this.
  13. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +504 / 0
    bassturds is a dick
  14. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Might as well get started now if it's going to take that long. Besides, the 2013 regs will only be confusing until the new, changed regs come out.
    golfman44 likes this.
  15. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +208 / 0
    The book I usually recommend is "Fly Fishing for Summer Steelhead" by Forrest Maxwell and John Shewey. They keep things very simple.
  16. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +589 / 0
    A black woolley bugger will get you plenty of steelhead until you decide to make it more confusing :)
    Lex and TD like this.
  17. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Go outside and run through the sprinkler at 5:00 AM. Then put on 3 layers of clothes and run around for 20 minutes. Have your wife punch you in the nuts a couple times and then repeat the process. If you enjoyed it more the second time you may have a future in steelheading this winter
  18. Mike Garritson Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Hahahahaha! Yep...that's about right. So, let's go fishing!
  19. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +355 / 0
    Now that richt there is funny. My wife agrees though. HAHAHAHAHAHA.
  20. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +44 / 1

Pretty funny stuff. Unfortunately, it's also pretty true :(