New Waters PLease

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by sweetlou, Oct 4, 2013.

1. sweetlou Member

La Quinta, California
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Next July I want to try some new waters. I am in Ione at that time of the year which is in upperNE WA. I can stay over night someplace, but I want to keep the drive at no more than 4 hours away. Rivers preferred, but lakes for tubing are fine as well. Any suggestions????
  2. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +102 / 0
    4 hours puts you in vastly different places depending on which direction you head. If it were me, I would be looking towards Montana or into Canada.
  3. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,263 / 0
    Should've taken Ive up on his offer today. He's wealth of info for that area. The UC is not too far away, and is one of my favorite fisheries in Washington. It's a big, intimidating river, but I've found that if you just fish however far you can cast like it's own little river, you can have great days even from shore.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    The guy only wants to drive four hours in any direction. Montana and Canada are just a tad farther than four hours.
  5. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Jim - He's in far upper NE WA, so Canada and MT (and ID) are very close.
  6. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Lots of suggestions but I'll keep it simple. I have lived in Ione for the past 14 years and have fished about everything of significance within a 4 or 5 hour range. You don't have to go near that far but at the outer edge of 3 hours you can get to the North Fork of the Coeur D'Alene if cutthroat are your bag. Avery on the St Joe is 174 miles, Coffeepot Lake out in the desert is 141 miles at about 3 1/2 hours. Amber Lake near Cheny is 112 miles, Tonasket and Aeneas Lake about 140 miles, Loomis near Chopaka 150 miles, Bonaparte Lake about 125 and Lost Lake another 15 or so up the road. The number of lakes within 4 hours is staggering and it would take years to fish them all.

Closer to Ione the river just below Box Canyon Dam is a good fishery in July for smallmouth. It also holds some massive trout and is only about 8 minutes from Ione. Big Meadow Lake is usually productive about 9 miles away and a number of other lakes within an hour offer a variety of fishing from small cutties to 4-5# rainbows. Tiger trout are in a couple of lakes as well but our brookies have fallen on hard times. Lakes around here are cyclic with some very good years followed by some bad ones. It pays to prospect and keep quiet about what you discover. Loose Lips Fries Fish.

Stream fishing is not so good but if you are willing to get a tiny fly rod and beat brush on some small creeks there is some fun to be had. Generally though I make the drive to Idaho or Montana if I am serious about dry fly fishing in running water.

Contact me if you have specific questions and I'll try to fill you in. By the way, Canada is only 30 minutes away and a a couple of hours into Canada will put you into some good fishing.

Ive
    Nooksack Mac likes this.
  7. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    If I was hanging my hat in Ione, I would be hitting the Elk river in BC as much as I could. It looks like a 3ish hour drive to Fernie from Ione. IveofIone would know.

Stew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  8. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Someday, I will buy a bottle of very good single malt and drive it to Ione. Then I will attempt to deliver it to Ive and ask him to go fishing. I'm 100% certain that it would be worth the drive...
    triploidjunkie and Stew McLeod like this.
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    I was looking under his name and it says La Quinta Calif.

I guess I should of read the whole thing before I typed .
    Lugan likes this.
  10. sweetlou Member

La Quinta, California
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    We are blessed to have two homes and the one I will retire in is Ione near Ive. We will be summer birds as I call it. Right now it is 92 in LA Quinta and dry so now you know why we do this. We are up there for 5 weeks in July and I try to get all the fishing in that I can, but I stay close to home and get skunked a lot. I Have been to Meadow lake, Crescent, the Chain Lakes, and of course the river below Box canyon. The Fernie Idea that Stew said is a great one, but Ive probably hit it on the head to go to Idaho or Montana. I really prefer running waters, it is my favorite, however I didn't know of any day trips I can take. I am willing to stay over night in some small town and make an adventure out of it all.
  11. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    Orangeradish:

I can assure you that it would be worth the drive to spend time with I've. You might consider some home brews in lieu of single malts.

MB
  12. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Lou, since you spend time here in July you have probably learned by now that July is about a month too late for the good spring fishing and two months too early for good fall fishing. It is kinda like being in that 50-60 age group when you are too old to be an angry young man and too young to be a dirty old man! So you have to pick your times and that usually involves getting up real early and staying on the water till dark in the evenings.

I have no idea what you drive but for river fishing I prefer a rig that is relatively compact and that I can sleep in. There is a lot of driving involved up and down the rivers and some of the pullouts are too small for an RV. I have given up on the truck with an overhead camper and after 15 years of towing a 5th wheel have sold it too. These days I am fishing alone and using either a new van that gets 25+ mpg and is perfect for trips like the NFCDA or St Joe where a paved road runs along the river or an SUV with a 6'+ flat floor for trips that require 4wd. For towing my trailer and pram I usually take my pickup with a tall canopy that I built a camping package into. I mention this because taking too much vehicle on a fishing trip really degrades the experience. Mobility and portability are key in getting to the good water instead of just fishing areas that have been fished over 100 times when you get there.

If you want to stretch out your overnighters to 3 or more days and camp, both Rock Creek and Kelly Creek are drives that are in the 5 or 6 hour range. In July most streams are very productive for the dry fly guys and as such are worth a little more driving time. There is some good stillwater within about an hour or so of here that I'll fill you in on in a PM.

Ive