New Zealand Mud Snails(Potamopyrgus antipodarum)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeremy King, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for that map, Richard. I clicked on your link and zoomed in on the mouth of the Columbia R and zeroed in on the WA side. Looks like one was found at the boat launch in Ilwaco, and other ones found at a couple of other spots along the shoreline and jetties. Actually, it looks like 3 - 5 were found at the boat launch over near the Coast Guard Station. The color code for the dots indicates only one snail found at each other spot, but it does indicated their presence. These could have arrive on waders, boots, maybe boats/trailers, shore birds or migrating water fowl, etc.
    I didn't see any locations "around the corner" in Willapa Bay, but I did see a couple dots on the Grays River, which I have fished in waders and felt soles, but not for 3 or 4 years.
    My guess is that we'll likely see them in Willapa Bay streams very shortly. I'll bet that they are already in the Naselle River. Its not that far from the Grays. Lots of fishers can hit each river system in the same day, if they want to.

2. Mel King

Mel King Member

I guided the madison for the years when the NZsnails began their takeover. Towards the end of my time there you could feel them crunching underfoot as you waded in some sections. I have always wondered if the fish ate them although I doubted it. Some of the sections were just black on the bottom.I haven't been back for years so I don't know what its like now.I don't know if they have made it to the Henry's Fork and Gallatin rivers but probably so. Back then we didn't have the knowledge of what was going on like exists now. Since I guided all the rivers I probably spread them around myself.It's to bad that by the time you figure out how serious an invasive species is,it's to late!

3. Jim Wallace

You will still find lots of folks who apparently aren't aware of the issues associated with transporting stuff from one body of water to another. I still see boat trailers going down the road trailing all kinds of aquatic vegetation. Unbelievable, but true. Mainly locals, here in my area, that I observe doing that. I might just start calling them in, if I can get their license #'s. Just a vehicle description might suffice.. :cool:

4. Jeremy King

Jeremy King New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some updated pics

5. Jim Wallace

Jeremy, the ones in your photos don't look as "conical" or tapered as the ones in the file photos of NZ Mudsnails, as far as I can tell. Count the number of whorls on the shells. NZMS have 5 whorls.
    I don't see five on your samples.

6. Jeremy King

Jeremy King New Member

thanks for the replys :) Does anyone know what species these are, and if they are invasive or not?

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Here is a wdfw link to their recommendations on prevention of spreading these invasives: www.wdfw.wa.gov/ais/youcanhelp.html

This is a problem that is not going to go away any time soon. Having grown up in the northeast myself, I witnessed first-hand the incredible explosion of the zebra mussel and other invasive species on our Great Lakes waters and beyond. This is something I would like to see more anglers take on as volunteers, possibly coordinating between wdfw and the Washington State University Water Programs.
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

8. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Take a look at the bigger trouts pucker hole in Pass lake, last study in 1973 was a third snails, third crayfish , and third chiros with a small % of dragons and damsels

9. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jeremy-

I believe your freshwater snails to be of family Hydrobiidae (Pebble Snails) and of genus Fluminicola. Please see below image:

[​IMG]

10. Jeremy King

Jeremy King New Member

thank you very much that is what i was looking for I know its a gastropod and it is a Lithoglyphinae but then from there its tricky there is so much to snails aand so many species even if their not invasive its good to know what part they play in my local river :)

11. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Got this from Easterbrooks, WDFW, this week: "Invasive New Zealand mudsnails (NZMS) were discovered in the Columbia River Hanford Reach area February10th, 2014 from a freeze core sample taken September 24th, 2013. The sample and identification was conducted by Edward Johannes of Deixis Consulting. "

12. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

That's not good.

13. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

people need to stop buying felt sole boots already. C'mon people go buy some studs or buy some of those skid free shoes they use at restaurants. or learn how to roll cast

14. Jeremy King

Jeremy King New Member

Thanks for the update . What I think I've learned since I made this post is when an invasive species appears it usually means that that system or ecosystem is out of alignment. I just recently seen Capitol lake emptied out due to flooding and you can tell its a man made lake from all the wash out from the deschutes it's created the perfect environment for these critics and other invasive species like milfoil. So my guess would be the same with the Columbia you got all the dams and dredged parts of the river. All that sediment goes to the mouth creating yet another perfect place for these invasive species

15. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I still wonder where the Tench I've been catching in the Columbia river came from!? From what I've read up on it, it's mostly a European fish. And incredibly invasive. They're weird fish, they'll circle your boat and stare you down.