NFR: A grateful thanks for all of your support

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Jul 14, 2014.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

It was a month ago today that I came within a couple of inches of Fishing That Big Riffle In The Sky. Today things are looking significantly better. Much of that is due to the outpouring of love, support and encouragement that I received from members of this board, most of which I have never meant. During those first helpless and painful days your good wishes and positive reinforcement were a real beacon of hope in my recovery. I have always felt that if I had a single friend that I could depend on when the chips were down I was a rich man indeed. It turns out I have an embarrassment of riches with friends that were willing to drive hundreds of miles just to mow my fields, split and stack wood and do general maintenance around the homestead. I will be forever indebted to them for help and kindness. And I won't forget those who were packed and ready to come, had taken time off of work and had to stay home because of the rain.

Today I am able to finally type with both hands, feed myself with my right hand as well as shower and dress myself. The first couple of weeks I was basically helpless and had to spend my entire days and nights in my chair hoping that I didn't jostle the break in my arm. With the left leg and right arm useless I was a strange kind of biped and not a very mobile one. Yesterday I was able to take a one mile+ walk on the property with my dog Toscee and did very well. At one point about half way my knee felt like the chain had come off the sprocket but I had my wading staff with me and was able to shake it off and continue.

I hated the use of the narcotic pain killers. They screw with the digestive system from intake to exhaust and I was eager to get off of them and on to some more natural pain medication. (Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA) The blow that broke my teeth also seemed to change my vision as my prescription glasses no longer seem correct and have to be changed. As soon as I can drive again I'll go get checked out and get all new glasses. The same blow to the head seemed to re aggravate the old neck injuries from the plane crash in Alaska back in the 70's. I have a lot of neck pain and restriction right now but I start PT soon and hopefully I can get those kinks out.

Perhaps the worst part of all this was the timing. My wife Susie was just starting the 11th month of treatment for breast and lymph node cancer. She had 6 months of heavy chemo, surgery, had to live in Spokane for 6 weeks of radiation therapy and is was just getting her life back to normal when this happened. She had to instantly make the transition from patient to caregiver. She has done an amazing job of caring for me but more importantly she is doing very well herself. The glorious smile has returned as well as the sense of humor and her overall prognosis is very good. At this point we are both delighted to still be alive and are savoring every minute of our time together. How sweet it is.

So once again thanks for all of your support and encouragement. You are a very nice family.

Best regards, Ive

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Great news Ive.

Tell your wife to keep up the fight. Chemo is a bitch all on its own without the added stress of a loved one needing to be cared for. I admire you both but your wife especially.

Kerry

smc likes this.
  3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ive:

I sincerely appreciate the update. I do have to work on my schedule as I do want to do what I can to be of assistance.

Hope you continue mend and Hi to Susie.

MB

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Good news all around, Ive. Prayers continue for both of you.

5. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Glad to hear you're up and about!

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

That's awesome news, Ive! I'm so glad that you are both making good progress!

7. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Glad to see an update from you. Hang in there!

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Outstanding, Ive, that is the best news! But don't think you're on your own for some time to come; I've got that scythe all sharpened and ready to go, and the splitting maul's in the rig!

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Happy news. Keep up the positive healing. There's a lot of living ahead.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I'm happy to read your update Ive. Not reading anything from you lately had me concerned. Good to know that you're on the mend, and Susie too. Keep on keepin' on.

Sg

11. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Thoughts and prayers out to both you and your wife sir.

12. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Thank goodness it was baseball season or Susie probably would have you sleeping the barn by now:).
    Keep up the good work both of you,
    jesse

13. GAT

GAT Active Member

Good news indeed.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I'm not one for doing any kind of praying. But it is good that you are on the mend, both you and the misses. So I'll just hope that everything will turnout OK for both of you.

Edit: Your probably glad I didn't try to show up to help. You didn't need another old crippled bastard getting in the way. I couldn't walk a mile if my life depended on it, well may I could.

15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Ive, you and Susie are examples to me of what a caring and loving relationship is all about. Thanks for the lessons, I hope I can embrace them as well as you two. As always my best to both of you...

16. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Continued healing blessings for both you and your wife!