NFR: And now wolves in the Teanaway drainage

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Lugan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I used to hunt deer back in my college days, and, found it to be exciting. But, I wasn't a venison fan so I quit. My guess is the whacko's that are quacking about the wolves and how it's going to affect their hunting success could be right. But, guess they will just have to quit "road hunting" a couple of blocks from their rigs and "really" have to get up in the hills to find the smart big elk that have outwitted the wolves. So pals, no more easy hunts! Ha! Ah, but the elk will be real trophy's I bet!

2. PT

PT Physhicist

You're a retired bureaucrat, as I read in one of your previous posts, so how does your hunting experience from 40+ years ago have anything to do with this conversation? Or are you just taking this opportunity to insult people in this thread who have actually made posts regarding the topic at hand. People who you may have political differences with. Ever reach across the aisle in your previous dealings or just brand folks who have a different opinion?

Still waiting for you to clarify a comment as asinine as this.

[QUOTEPut Sarah Palin in a helicopter. She'll take care of it....... I'm just hoping the helicopter will have engine trouble tho! ][/QUOTE]

Bobbleheads need only apply.

3. dryflylarry

Bobbleheads need only apply.[/QUOTE]

I've got a very nice Steelhead print I can sell you PT. Come on over, I'll meet you in Kingston by the ferry!

4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Yes they can. If you go back and read my posts, I'm simply stating that they usually do become a problem. If they do, we can start issuing tags to control them. I also stated that I hope it doesn't come to that, but the evidence shows that typically they do. Again, I could care less.

That being said, I will admit that I don't know that they were "dumped" into the system. However that being said, when or where have the wolves ever shown up anywhere where they were not a result of a transplant.

I think, whether you want to believe it or not, that you and I agree. Hooray for the wolves! If they become a problem, they'll have to be dealt with - not saying eradicated. Please, (meant sincerely) don't lump me in with those who want to "kill them all". Although I do understand where they are coming from. A person can sympathize with where they are coming from and still disagree. I think it's called being a "grown up". <- Not aimed at you by the way.

5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

And regarding the large population of Washington and the drastically altered environment:
    So your point is that if we just get rid of people in this state, then the predator and prey populations will work themselves out? I agree with that. It's not based on reality though. It's pointless to talk about the reintroduction of wolves into a pristine, pre-white settlement Washington.

6. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Is it fair to compare the ecosystem of Yellowstone NP to the ecosystem of the Teanaway drainage or the Cascades in general. Do we have deer and elk populations so high that they're destroying streams?

7. dryflylarry

Perhaps not. Cattle? Yes, but I won't go there. If I was a cattle rancher, I probably wouldn't be happy.

8. professori

professori self-important blowhard!!

Outright BS of the biggest kind. There has been 1 documented case of a wolf attack in North America in well over a hundred years. That was a starving animal on one of the Gulf Islands in Canada. Ignorance, not science is the greatest threat to wolves and all other wildlife.

9. professori

professori self-important blowhard!!

double post.

10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Thou doth protest too much. We all know you love your cows in unnatural ways.

11. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Homogenous. My point is that to ever say liberals believe...fill in the blank and think tht the whole group thinks alike is incorrect. The one thing that "liberals" do better than any other group is disagree. It's not a religion. It's a loose partnership of people for political gain.

For the record, I did not call you a knuckledragger. No one is calling you names or belittling you here, just discussing.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

12. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

13. ribka

ribka Active Member

Yes ignorance is dangerous Professor

A woman was killed in Alaska last year by wolves while jogging. 100's of wolf attacks have been documented in Russia.

I used to believe the same fairytale after reading Farley Mowat as a child . I worked in Russia in the 90's and had a close friend the who was a fisheries biologist. He showed me documentation of many wolf attacks and deaths.

I have run into packs of wolves bowhunting in very remote areas of ID and WY some am not hunting right next to road as posters with zero experience state. My attitude has changed towards after spending time around them and seeing game killed and left uneaten by them.

In my home state of Wi a friend was grouse hunting with his dog and 2 wolves came it and killed it last Fall. No wolf hunting allowed there

Not saying exterminate them but have a management plan in place before you start introducing them. In certain areas of ID, WY and MT the wolves population is too large and the have a major problem there now.

14. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

I keep waiting for what handgun is best for wolves ? Topic to be brought up.

15. According to an article in the Seattle times (Feb 2010?)...yes. There was a story about how Elk in the ONP (not the cascades) were overgrazing due to the lack of predators (wolves) and causing certain types of vegetation to become far more rare than they should be thus degraging streamside vegetation.

WOLVES ARE A NATURAL PART OF OUR ECOSYSTEM. FACT

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

OK wolf haters (aka livestock and big game lovers), how many of you are going to participate in this thinly-veiled bestiality event at this local goat brothel? http://goatolympics.org/

'Fess up!

17. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

I guess you can take it up with the person that went through that experience. I don't know him to be a liar and he was hunting in a remote place in Idaho. You might want to get out of the house once in awhile and breathe in some fresh air. It will do you some good.

19. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Wolves and domestic dogs are from common ancestors. Canines are highly mutatable. Without going into too much detail, SINEC_Cf DNA gets copied into RNA which then gets copied back into DNA then that DNA then sticks itself back into the dog genome. If it lands in the right spot, it's instant noticable mutation. If I am not mistaken canines have the highest rate of mutation of all carnivores. It's impossible to trace the origin of the first domestic dogs from fossil records since a new breed from a single bitch could be made in a single litter if you hit the mutation lottery. IE the first canine pair ever to exist on earth could have had a first litter of completly different looking breeds.

It doesnt matter if the cle-elum wolves are re-introduced or from a different stock that is not native. They will quickly change into their own stock that is suited for that area in a few generations anyway. Look at the difference between a Whidbey Island and Juanita coyotes. They look like two different animals.

Also, forget who the poster was, but wolves will kill in mass and leave uneaten carcases. It's the internal organs that they are after. That is where the most nutrition that they need is found.

20. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Good idea. I vote for a .38 Smith & Wesson. That way, I can rest assured knowing that after I get killed by a grizzly bear, what is left of my carcass will be scavenged by a pack of vicious blood thirsty wolves.