NFR: Budding Brewmeisters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +682 / 1
    Last Sunday before the game 4 of us headed done to Gallagher's in Edmonds to brew some beer. Only Scott had any previous experience brewing so this seemed like a good way to learn and have some fun. We agreed on a Porter for our first batch, but we tasted some others that also peaked our interest...next time.

Scott and Rick got done on their hands and knees and started pouring the malt.

[IMG]

Steve manned the paddle and kept the cracked grains steeping.

[IMG]

I scooped out the last of the sticky malt and Steve kept stirring.

[IMG]

We took a break from all the hard work and refreshed ourselves while the wort boiled.

[IMG]

Gallagher's can accommodate 6 batches at once in their steam fired kettles.

[IMG]

At last the wort was run through the chiller and readied for fermenting.

[IMG]

We retired to the chilly parking lot and Chef Scott set about grilling some brats.

[IMG]

We finished the outing with brats and some brews, mine was the Nuthouse Brown that was equally tasty as the Porter.

[IMG]

This was a kick in the pants to get some friends together and do this. They make it really easy for beginners with all the equipment and recipes to follow. In two weeks we'll head down again to bottle up our brew. More later...
  2. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +430 / 2
    Outstanding!
  3. (BigDave) Member

Fairwood
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    That looks to be a great place to start as they do the heavy lifting to get into brewing. Beware however as it can snowball quickly just as fly tying and rod building to fill your garage, office, etc. I even have hopps growing in the yard.
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +168 / 0
    We be back in a bit to finish the process and then the consuming can begin!

They also do wine and have the kits there to do that. And, American Brewing is just around the corner.
  5. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +682 / 1
    I'm not big on hoppy brews, but I'll bet I could grow some hops at our E. WA property...;)
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,016 / 0
    There was an article in the Seattle Times in the past couple weeks about how the rapid growth of craft breweries in Washington have pushed the price of hops through the proverbial roof as the available supply shrinks. Sensing a profit potential, many eastern Washington apple growers are switching to growing hops instead.

K
  7. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    I brewed (a few times) and made wine (once) in the 70s, and still have some gear in the attic. But, that looks like fun and the way to go.
    Good time I bet.
  8. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 1
    Love Stout's and Porter's. I have help my friend brew a couple of times. Had a great time. Sounds like a lot of fun!
  9. yellowlab03 Member

Ratings: +16 / 0
    I love brewing, I have been doing it for about a year now and have about 7 batches under my belt. I was never a beer snob until I started brewing. It can be very addicting!
  10. (BigDave) Member

Fairwood
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    My three vessel gravity fed system.
    [IMG]
    David Loy and Scott Salzer like this.
  11. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 1
    That's awesome, what are your hour's to try beer!!!!!!! Ha, Ha, Ha
  12. yellowlab03 Member

Ratings: +16 / 0