NFR cloud geek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wadin' boot, May 17, 2013.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

as of right now, 1 pm May 17, a moderate layer of Mammatus clouds covers Central Lake Washington towards Bellevue WA, They are moving twoards Woodinville. My phone cam can't do 'em justice, but they are pretty sweet looking

Last Saturday the lenticular clouds off the Olympics were phenomenal, normally you get them mainly on Rainier, but that day there was a bunch on Rainier and a whole stack more up and down off the Olympics

2. GAT

GAT Active Member

Ya lost me at "Mammatus"....

3. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

I had to google "mammatus." Really strange cloud formation. I can't say I've ever seen it, but now I'll be on the lookout.

I can picture the conversation now...
    "That cloud looks like a bunny."
    "That one looks like a choo-choo train."
    "And that cloud looks like ...er....rows of giant boobs?"

jeff bandy likes this.
  4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

This morning on the way to work thier were some linticular type clouds forming off of Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island. I have never seen them form there before thinking Mt. Constitution wasn't high enough to receive the winds needed to form such clouds. It was gorgeous in the morning light. I wanted to take some pictures but did not have the time to drive to a location that would allow for a good composition.

Bob Anderson and wadin' boot like this.
  5. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

When I was flying paragliders, I learned to love some clouds -- small cummies forming at the top of thermals -- and fear others. Lenticulars could be frightening because they indicate incredibly fast winds aloft, but Mammatus are terrifying. Unbelievable amount of energy in those overdeveloped cumulus "breast" clouds.

Here some examples of Mammata, stacked lennies and wave clouds [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wadin' boot likes this.
  6. GAT

GAT Active Member

I'm a sky watcher. I love cloud formations but I don't know their proper names. Normally I'll call them Howard, Kim, Jim-Bob or Cathy.

Old Man likes this.
  7. wadin' boot

548992_10150992360978591_1505584354_n.jpg

My friend Jessica took this last summer driving through Minnesota, she didn't think much of it other than as a strong thunderstorm...this cell line hit Wisconson later that evening as tornados. This is not the cloud formation to screw around under...

Either Way April, May and June typically have some terrific forms brewing round Puget Sound. Oh and glad I am not the only cloud geek, Dan, Kerry, I believe we have enough for a cloud fetish subforum...general discussions highly focused on the benefits and joys of mammatus of all types

Dan Nelson likes this.
  8. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Lenticulars are the surfing waves for glider pilots. We get them a lot here on the east side of the mtns. There is even a wave window up to 26,000 feet east of Rainier but I've never tried it. Getting into the wave can be seriously rough but the sailplane pilots around Reno can get up to 50,000 feet. I have been to 13k often and it's very strange to look down on some of the puddle-jumping airliners from an airplane with no engine.

Craig

Dan Nelson likes this.
  9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Shit, you have all gone from bird watching to cloud watching. What's next, Standing on the corner watching all the girls walk by.

10. Dan Nelson

Depends on the glider type. My glider is roughly 20 pounds of nylon and cord. :eek: No way I'm getting up into lenticular-causing winds aloft with a paraglider (I've never thermalled higher than 11,000 but those upper winds can create interesting texture much lower -- and in a paraglider you feel EVERYTHING).

Boots, you've definitely found another cloud watcher (which can be helpful when fishing too, Old man. Always good to be able to read the weather and figure out what's coming your way -- and clouds can be great indicators of what's heading your way if you know what each type represents)

wa_desert_rat likes this.
  11. JE

JE Active Member

I saw those on Friday while in Kirkland / Redmond area. Really cool.

Old Man laments the watching of birds, clouds (girls?) etc. but I've been really trying to learn my local trees and shrubs, flowers and getting my bird list going in conjunction with the continued understanding of insects that apply to flyfishing. I'm no naturalist to be sure, but having a familiarity with that stuff sure makes things enjoyable (except when my kids and wife groan at me while we're hiking when I stop to key something out).

Now I need to find a cloud ID app.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson Member

Boot - I've always enjoyed your prose. Didn't know you were a cloud watcher.

I had the good fortune of spending the first part of my career (16 years) at sea on oceanography ships. Before becoming Captain, I spent six years sailing as Chief Mate. By tradition, the Mate always stands the 4-8 watch. I was lucky to have witnessed literally thousand of sunrises and sunsets everywhere from 80 deg. N to 57 deg. S. primarily in the Pacific. I've witnessed some unbelievable atmospheric phenomena. As a result, I was transformed into a cloud fanatic.

I did see yesterdays mammatus formation. Pretty spectacular and pretty rare for this part of the country. You are spot on with your analysis of seasonal cloudage. This is the time of year where we transition from spring's stratocumulus to summer's clear skies. These next couple of months we'll see cumulonimbus, altocumulus, lenticular action and a bunch of other wonderful forms.

For those of you into clouds, I encourage, nay demand, you pick up a copy of The Cloudspotter's Guide. I have given the book as a gift to friends who've only a passing interest in clouds and they have all been impressed.

Kent Lufkin and wadin' boot like this.
  13. teedub

teedub Active Member

Where, which corner , I just left the house text me!

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I've seen my share of nasty clouds in my life time. I just didn't know that they had names. We have had some clouds overhead the last two days, but they were rain clouds and you couldn't see them for all the rain falling.

JE likes this.
  15. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Cloud technology is where it's at, to the point where mainstream usage means no more geek status, Boot.

wadin' boot likes this.
  16. GAT

GAT Active Member

Photos would be required.

The last thing I need is additional reference books. I bought an evergreen tree identification book and when loony trying to ID trees everywhere we hiked. The photos never look exactly like the trees. Still.... I am a sky watcher so I may need to look into buying the book. I'm sure they have them at Amazon.com.

17. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

The proper term is Alto Cumulus Standing Lenticular. As was mentioned before they are formed by waves of very strong winds funneling in narrow bands such as stacked over Mt Rainer under the right conditions. One of my favorite views is of Cumulonimbus a cloud formation in the summer over the Cascades from the ship canal bridge. This is coming from a meteorologists son that flew commercially for awhile. My dad who is passed on now could look at a cloud and tell you with reasonable accuracy how high it was. There was no escaping the learning.

18. Dan Nelson

JE likes this.
  19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well if you look in the sky to many times you will see things you don't want to see. In the 40's when one looked into the sky you could see flying things that didn't make sense. Like flying saucers. I actually saw one one time.

20. wadin' boot

Dan Nelson likes this.