NFR: Crane Fly Invasion?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Steve Unwin, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Steve Unwin Active Member

Ratings: +84 / 0
    Has anybody else been experiencing higher than usual levels of Crane Fly activity? I live in Edmonds (WA) and I have been seeing tons of them, and much bigger than in past years. Any ideas why that might be?
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Ratings: +961 / 1
    Some craneflies larva live in streams. It's worth tying an imitation of them. I tied up a couple based off of Sawyer's "ugly bug" pattern.
  3. Steve Unwin Active Member

These ones seem to live in my garden beds. The other day I was watching them hatch out of the ground. It was sort of cool, except that these ones like to hang out in my house.

I don't tie at this point but I'll store that for the future.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

There's a granule form bug killer that works well on craneflies. I used to use it in Kirkland and also need it over here in Moses Lake.

Other than that invest in lots of starlings. They seem to pick thru the grass just a tad past the crack of dawn. Doesn't cut down on too many craneflies though.
  5. Matt Baerwalde ...

Ratings: +200 / 0
    Anti-team:

I hadn't thought about it before, but yes. More than I remember, and larger. Mild spring?
  6. Steve Unwin Active Member

Must be something like that. They seem to be getting bigger; I saw one the other night that must have been 2+ inch, and at least 3/4" just in the body.

Moths too... Huge and prolific.
  7. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Ratings: +354 / 0
    Here on S. Whidbey the crane flies are just hitting their stride but the moths are everywhere. I took out all the tent caterpillers I could find (30) but obviously I missed a bunch of them!
  8. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Here's a cranefly larva imitation. The pattern is Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug.

DSC_0764.JPG
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Ratings: +765 / 0
    This one's just fer lookin' at
    index.jpg
  10. fly punk lunatic trout bum

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Ill take crane flies over all the damn moles i have. lol Hmmmm, a mole pattern...... :)
  11. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +111 / 0
    fly punk-

Ha. The moles are probably attracted to crane fly larvae. So, if you get rid of the crane fly larvae, then the moles may not be such a problem. ;)
  12. fly punk lunatic trout bum

Ratings: +7 / 0
    You're right.......but a Mole pattern would still be really cool to try and tie. :)
    Or do i sense a new sport......... Mole fishing with Crane fly larva patterns. Hmmmmmmm.:rolleyes:
  13. Dave Boyle Active Member

Ratings: +27 / 0
    Or what should you pack re when moles attack? Beavers, now an otter, could moles be next? They've got big claws (relatively speaking)....It's funny the little buggers wrecking our lawn and veg patches used to drive my Dad nuts. We tried all sorts of stuff, traps, propane followed by 'fire in the hole', petrol and one morning he lost it and peed into a burrow. Very good for fine dubbing fur tho'

Dave
  14. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

When moles attack......