NFR: How do you pack your firearm when fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peter Pancho, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    NFR: How do you Conceal your firearm when fishing?

For those of you who CONCEAL heat, what is the most effective way to carry in waders,vest,etc?

I've seen pictures of dudes with chest holsters for their 44mag in AK, but how bout here in Washington?

Pics would be a plus!

Thanks! :thumb:
  2. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +455 / 0
    Mounted on the front of the sled.

Go Sox,
    cds
  3. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    umm... prob just under your waders??? y do you need a gun to go fishing???
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +578 / 5
    Just toss that M4's sling around your back. Show them you mean business.

Actually, I have a Navy Seals assault floatation vest I use for my pontoon fishing vest (it'll be at the Hoh event). No, I don't use it because it looks cool (which it does lol). But is functional. Has a good fit, lots of arm movement, floats with a heavy load on it (meant to carry grenades, full assault gear, and float the person), and lots of pockets to carry gear and camelback. BUT, they have a Coast Guard version that has a holster for the 92F out front. So you can kick out your spey rod, while thumbing the clip of your Beretta. LOL.

Ok, I DO NOT condone gun harassment. But I laughed at Charles response. I had a photoshopped version of my 16' cataraft that had a 50 cal mounted with rocket launchers mounted to the tubes. I had mentioned it as a joke and one of the computer gurus made it for me. Wish I had backed it up in a file before my last computer crashed.

And no, I don't carry usually.
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    I use a sling because I like to carry firearms that can actually stop a bear

(actually I am not a huge wuss and I don't carry anything while fishing most places)
  6. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +156 / 0
    Heck, I carry a small two shot .22 cal derringer in my jacket pocket. Its small, light weight and ammo is cheap when I am fishing around bear country. I feel safe!!!!! I shoot my buddy in both of his knees and run like hell!!!!!!!Works every time!!

Sorry just had too!
  7. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    http://shopruger.com/webapp/wcs/sto...d=-1&parent_category_rn=13682&lastCatId=13682

This product is the "end all, be all" in fishing holsters. Even has a velcro fly patch on it, and a zinger This particular set up is for a ruger alaskan, a very powerfull snubby revolver chambered in .454 cassul or .44 mag. If you do enough research yuo can find the company that manufactures this holster for ruger, they make the same outfit for automatics as well. Definitely watch the "product video" assiciated with this holster as you can tell its designed around wearing waders.

There is also another outfit called "grizzly tough" holsters. You might check them out.
  8. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    By the way, I was going to buy that super redhawk alaskan, and the holster, untill my jeep blew up, if i see someone on the river wearing it, I may be hurt beyond repair, however, I know this is the right thing to do. LOL
  9. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    It really depends on the type fishing and hiking you'd be doing, whether concealment is a consideration, etc. One rule of thumb if you're wading a lot is to stay away from leather, if it gets wet it won't readily dry. A thumb break is a needed if you're clambering over rocks or downed trees. What would you be carrying?
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,540 / 0
    Up on the Skagit your buddies better be carrying also. If you need a weapon it will more then likely be to defend yourself from meth lab operators and they are going to be armed up pretty good. Your 6 shot revolver or 9 auto ain't going to cut it. Better have a couple of 8 shot 12s with some #4 buck in them for this kind of work. The other threat would be the occaisional sled with 3 or 4 bubbas in it. You can tell which sled I am talking about because at least one guy is going to have on a red plaid hunting shirt. Anyway, every guy in the boat will be armed and the boat itself will likely carry at least one 270 or a 12. Once again you are severely under gunned with you 44 wheel. So take some armed friends along if you think there is any chance of getting into an upriver fire fight.
  11. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    haha is that sarcasm im detecting? BTW, where did i leave my red and black flannel?
  12. Bullwhacker Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I don't know how other states work, but in MT, you need a CWP if the firearm is on your body and not visible. (Under your jacket, waders... etc)
  13. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I was at the tailout below the Elbow on the NF Stilly years ago and ran into a well known steelheader. Actually has written some books. I noticed he was wearing a gun. I asked him what the hell he was wearing it for, laughing as I asked him. You know kind of silly like. He mentioned something about Army infrantry or some thing and "protection". I then asked him if he knew what the 21 foot rule was. We were taught at one of the SF schools I attended that if a man is 21 feet or less away from you and you have a holstered weapon it is impossible to get the weapon unholstered and out to defend youself if the guy rushes you as fast as he can with bad intentions. Now the exeception to the rule is of if you are well trained and pretty strong and understand the concepts and applications of weapons retention. He asked me what the hell I was talking about. I then broke it down and told him that what that means is that the gun looked really "cool":rolleyes: but that anybody who wanted to could shove it right up his ass before he got the stupid thing out and used it for whatever reason. He walked away redfaced. I walked away laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole situation. Coach
    G-spot4u likes this.
  14. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    You gonna low hole me motherf*cker? Here comes the pain! BAM BAM BAM
  15. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Fortunately, Washington is a "shall issue" state so unless you have a "history" (felony conviction or spousal abuse), obtaining a CWP is not difficult.
  16. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    What if she was talking back?
  17. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    I should of expected a minimum of correct answers...:beathead:ptyd

I'll play along..Maybe I'll keep my "pearl gripped handle .22 derringer on an inside the thigh garter belt" eh? :p
  18. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    seriously peter, Did you check out that link i posted to the ruger holster? That was one of few honest responses.
  19. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    I did see this holster in a few pics of dudes fishing in AK from that "freebie Fly magazine" . That holster is pretty sweet, I like it..iagree
  20. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    There's a name for that concept that came from law enforcement, however my mind isn't working yet this AM. When I ran IDPA matches we'd shoot that as part of a match. We'd set a target at 21' and a shot timer to beep at 1.5 seconds. At the start signal the shooter would have 1.5 seconds to draw from concealment using a carry holster and hit the target center mass. It's not impossible by any means but it is hard for amateurs and would be difficult in a stressful situation without a great deal of focus.

Also that story illustrates the problem with open carry. If your concern is with human predators open carry could very likely make you a target rather than serving as a deterrent.