Nice couple of days

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nogz, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Nogz

Nogz New Member

Thursday: Got engaged. I'm lucky.

Friday: Picked up my first new(ish) car: Hyundai Tucson 2011.

Saturday: Now the important stuff. We went on one of my favorite hikes. We drove down the bumpy road and hiked about 5 miles to a lake with falling water. After taking a dip, I set up my 4 wt and threw some dries. Had three fish to hand on my first 10 or so casts. Strangers at the lake were actually giving me a standing ovation. That was fun.

DSC_0090.JPG

Ended up with about seven fish in a half hour, the biggest was around 14 inches. Most were in the 8-12 range.

DSC_0091.JPG

My last fish tonked his head on a rock and I unfortunately couldn't revive him. Bummer. Bug food, I suppose.

I've been trying to get my friend into fly fishing this summer, so I thought this would be the time for his first fish on a fly. I'm sure this has happened to others, when you see a beginner get a hit, the hook set always happens about three beats too late. I was yelling "set! set!", but by the time you get it out it's already over. He got better as the day went on. Got a fish on the hook, but wasn't able to get it to hand. I think I'll be losing more sleep over it than him. It was so close...

Besides a minor case of swamp ass on the hike back, it was a great couple of days.