Nikon Photographers sound off

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by tythetier, Oct 3, 2012.

1. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    All right, I am gonna blow my work bonus on a new DSLR. I am getting with the times... Gonna become a chip licker...
    A bit of my background... I used to shoot 35mm all the time with a Minolta X370. It is basic, but took great pictures, and I invested a bit in lenses for it as well. I shoot a bit with our Sony Cyber Shot that is a few years old and garbage... Takes ok pics, but it has never really worked well...
    Well, figure I better start coming to terms, and put all my pictures on them tiny little cards...

Here is what I am thinking about going with....

The Nikon D40... One of the still super popular, but older generation dslr's. We have a friend that shoots semi pro, and says she would never trade her d40 for a new fancy high dollar Nikon. They are pretty basic and have a low mega pix count from what I have read, which doesnt really bother me. Also, what is the diff between the regualr D40 and the D40X?!?!?

The Nikon D3100....Newer basic model... Lots of bells n whistles, but some are not as great as they should be (i.e. lens noise if filming video) I have read...

Price wise, you can find the kits all over online for about the same price... Kinda odd... 10 year old dslr is selling for the same price as a newer model....

My main uses are going to be shooting pics of my new baby coming up, a bunch of outdoor stuff and try to sell online, and maybe shoot inexpensive senior pictures or ingagement photos for people. I remember how expensive it would of been to do those if I didnt do them myself, so I figure I might do that as a minor source of income while being a stay at home dad during the days.

So help a guy decide.... What do you guys think? Experiences with one or the other. Or both.
    I am set on the Nikons. I have several friends that have D40's and use them at different levels, and have never had a hiccup.
    While I have several friends with Cannons and Panasonics that have had nothing but problems...

Thanks a bunch,
    Ty​

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Check the pixel count of the models you are considering. That might give you more to think about. I had lenses for my N90S (film) and when I ventured into the digital, I went with one that I could use my lenses on. You might also think of that and consider Minolta for that reason.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I might suggest you take a look at the D90 also. I shot one for a few years and the camera worked flawlessly. One of the few DSLRs that has never needed an upgrade or bug fix from the day it was released. I just sold one with an 18-200 lens for 850 after upgrading to a D800. Sort of wish I would have kept the D90. Not that there is anything wrong with the D800, just that it is such a high resolution tool it demands a much higher level of technique. Any mistakes made will be amplified by the camera. The D90 would be a better choice for me for everyday shooting and snaps. If you look around you can find some deals.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I don't want to crap on your friend (who I obviously have never met), but that is a ludicrously stupid statement. The D40 is seven years old (released in 2006). That is an eternity at the pace of DSLR innovation over the past decade. I'm not saying that you can't take good photos with the D40 and be happy with it and I'm not saying that one can't fall in love with a piece of equipment (no matter the age), but to imply that the D40 is better than the more recent cameras casts serious doubt on her equipment knowledge as a digital photographer and as a "pro".

If someone told you they would never trade their 1996 Corolla for a new fancy high dollar Toyota, you'd shake your head and chuckle at them. It's the same thing here.

yuhina likes this.
  5. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think I've outgrown my D3100 already, but it's been a great tool for getting started in DSLR. I think the D800 is next. I've got some images being featured in an exhibit in January, with that perhaps I'll make enough to buy it.

6. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I have had friends tell me that KR only recommends cameras that will get him referral money. If a camera is out of stock, he recommends something else that is in stock. That isn't to say that any given camera he recommends is a bad camera, but it is worth noting.

Some of the stuff he writes is very good, some of it seems to be written just to create controversy and some is completely silly. So, you know, just about like any opinion columnist.

orangeradish likes this.
  8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    orangeradish likes this.
  9. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Josh, I think she likes it because she has been shooting with it for so long, she can do just about anything with it. I do agree with you, technology is frickin moving!! She does take damn good pictures with that camera though. She sells them through some website that people buy pictures off of and makes a bit of money, so I kinda figured she knew what she was doing... Sounds like she doesnt have much of a concept of whats out now days though.
    I would not trade a '05 Corolla XRS for a new 2013 one in a million years! Once you hit lift, there is nothing like it!! :D

I would love to get a higher end model, but my budget is between $500-$600...
    I am thinking of going the 3100 route. I have found a place that sells package deals in my price range that come with a Nikon refurb. 200mm or 300mm lens (depending on what all you want in the kit)

Derek, lemme know what you would like to get out of your 3100 if you are close to my budget, maybe I could take it off your hands for ya.

Thanks a bunch for the links on reviews guys!

Ty

10. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    I shoot with a Nikon and like it just fine. But you mentioned that you use to shoot with a Minolta and invested in a bunch of lenses for it. I'm not sure and maybe Josh can chime in, but it's my understanding that Minolta lenses will fit on Sony bodies. It might be worth considering a Sony just for that reason.

11. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    My wife's getting the 3100, Ty.

12. BikerBilly

BikerBilly New Member

Hey Guy's
    I've been a Pro Photographer for almost 30 years. Good photography is much more about the skill of the photographer than the camera. I would suggest getting the best DSLR you can afford and really learn how to use it. Something to keep in mind is that today's cameras come with built in obsolescence. They are not made to be used forever like my old film cameras were. I had a pair of Hasselblad's I used for over 20 years. I would recommend that you get something that is newer. Someone suggested a D90 not a bad choice! Good luck on your quest.

13. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Man, one of the things I hate most about digital electronic devices is the "fast-moving tech and planned obsolescence." Almost forces one to stay on top of things and purchase the newest and latest tech, or else just forget about it. Most of the time, I just choose the latter, since I don't have the frickin time to keep up with all the innovations.

I have a cheap 2-year old "pre-paid" Nokia cell phone, and I bought my iMac in 2007. Makes me feel like a cave man. When I bought my Pentax Optio 43 WR, it was going on clearance sale to move out the old tech. A newer and improved model was already available. You really have to pay to play.

14. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Not that I'm a huge fan of Ken Rockwell, but at least at this time...his recommendations from October 2012 seem pretty legit to me.

I personally own the D7000 and love it. If you're buying new, I'd go for the 5100 over the 3100. Video on a DSLR is overrated. Used, the D90 is tough to beat.

The beauty of lenses is that if they're taken care of, they hold value. I switched from Pentax and sold my lenses for MORE than I bought them.

BikerBilly likes this.
  15. xdog

xdog Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am far from any authority on camera or their good use. I can testify that for the workhorse, hardiness and quality of the Nikon D60 I have owned for the past four years. It rides shotgun in the front seat of the truck most days, I have shot ten of thousands of frames, I rarely if ever case it, no lens caps, use it the rain, dust, fishing, hunting, heat, cold you name it. Still ticking and taking great photos by my standards. I am sure all the other Nikons are equally as hardy.

Good snapping regards,

16. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Reasons why I love my Nikon. The top end lenses are weather sealed as well.

17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I love this. It reminded me of a pic I saw on a photog board shown below. Apparently this camera was owned by a pro and had no less than 400,000 clicks. Not a Nikon or a DSLR but it shows these things are tough.
    [​IMG]

18. flyfishn

flyfishn Member

Home Page:
    If you have Minolta look at Sony lens. I just got a A55 and all lof my 20 year old lens work well even autofocus.

19. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Member

Best Christmas present I ever bought my wife was our Nikon D50 DSLR. I later picked up a used Nikon AF Nikkon 70-300mm lens and I've been using it ever since :p. She wanted the camera but never uses it but I love taking it out for landscapes and wildlife photography. The thing takes great pics at the kids soccer games too. I could have kicked myself in the ass last may when I was on a business trip to Jackson Hole, Wy and I brought the camera but decided to leave the longer lens at home. That was the trip that I ended up seeing two different groups of grizzly sows with cubs. :eek:

20. troutwoman

troutwoman Member

I am no expert either, I own a D7000 and a D700. The biggest investment you will make is in your lenses. I have a DX18-200mm lenses that I use with the D7000 that is sealed. That is another thing not all Nikons are sealed from the elements. I am pretty sure that the Nikon's from the D7000 up are sealed. I saw a great deal on a D7000 and the DX 18-200mm lenses as a package for about $1200 at B&H Photo, I am sure it has been marked down because the D7100 is out. Make sure you get a USA Nikon camera and lenses, not imports. This is important for warranty in the US. The D7000 is a fantastic camera, and that lenses is perfect for just about everything. I am trying to go semi-pro here with the D700 and am getting lenses for it, which are almost as much as the camera. I would cry if I dropped one of them when I was fishing, so I won't be taking that to the water. But the D7000 will be perfect. Good luck!