North Fork Stilly Condition

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 24, 2013.

1. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    I'd rather you don't say where you fished, but visibility varies greatly depending on location. The silt from the Boulder seems to be settling out enough by the time you get down to Oso.
    If you're seeing fish rolling, my first guess is that they're kings. I think the dirty water makes them show themselves more. The tribe is doing some kind of recovery program and was netting kings at Hazel yesterday.
    Oh, and if you didn't see your fish for positive ID, then they were just dollies. :)
  2. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +589 / 0

I hear ya.
  3. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +648 / 0
    Humpies
  4. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
  5. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    I saw a few Humpies in the lower river on Saturday, along with what appeared to be a small Chinook.
  6. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    My thoughts exactly, when I was out there on Saturday. I saw a couple come completely out of the water and their size and enthusiasm said humpy to me.
  7. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    seems a little early for the pinks - boy I wish that river was in better shape - seems like it can't catch a break
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  8. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I've seen pinks rolling this week from the forks (Haller Park) up to around Cicero. Not a lot of them though. Caught my first searun cutthroat of the season this week. A dandy 15"er. Landed a wild steelhead this morning. After that big rain storm we had last night the river is clearer than it's been in quite a while:) We'll see what happens when we actually get some real rain.
    Jamie Wilson likes this.
  9. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Starting on the 5th, it will be closed from Oso to Cisero.
  10. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    I am excited to be coming down the last week of August.. I am going to put 4x girls in the deer creek confluence pool to tan and swim, while Elizabeth and I fish
  11. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
  12. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,002 / 0
  13. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +589 / 0
    Well that does not help my chances of landing a my first chromie this year.
  14. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
  15. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    This makes sense. The wild fish are congregating at the mouth of the creek and guys just hammer on the same fish over and over. Some guys don't even bother to fish other pools in these conditions because they know where the fish are. Fish in a barrel.
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,754 / 0
    WDFW should have closed it a month or more ago...

I believe the entire section from the bridge above Deer Creek down to the 1st bend below should be permanently closed.
  17. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    I'm glad it's not you're decision to make. I don't believe normal angling pressure, under normal conditions has much effect on the run of fish.
  18. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    True, but has this not always been the case? Even Zane Grey and his crew fished the mouth before making their trip into Deer Creek in 1918. I can understand the issue with the river temperature, which is why I will accept this. (I have no choice.). However, any sort of increase or decrease in their abundance over the last 30 years has been driven by other more important factors (the most obvious being the DeForest Creek landslide), rather than the pressure, or sometimes, lack thereof, from a catch and release fishery by fly fishermen. If that is really a concern, than maybe the rules should be updated to something like anglers can only use floating lines and un-weighted flies from July 1st – September 30th. Anyhow, that is just my 2 cents.
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,754 / 0
    You may be correct. I am just looking at where the fish tend to stack up and thinking it may be nice to give them some sanctuary in that area. May be something that has little to no appreciable effect on the fish one way or the other.
  20. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    The difference now as I see it is the fish are not going up the creek and the same fish are getting caught multiple times. This ain't 1918. Some years of high water the fish don't really congregate but just swim up the creek. Floating lines and un-weighted flies actually work pretty good on wild summer steel. The issue I have with permanently closing that section of river is who will police all the illegal fishing/poaching that goes on. Last time I was at the mouth a saw a sand shrimp container and a rooster tail package on the beach. A few dead fish killed by poachers = a lot of released fish by ethical anglers.