Northern Flicker

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Takeoff

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Do those guys overwinter in western washington?
  3. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    Aka Red Shafted?
    Cool shot btw!
  4. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    That starling looks prime for some soft hackles.
  5. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    .177 and some nice fly tying material from that starling, some feathers can be used to replace jungle cock. Plus you are helping some native species. I must have racked up a hundred or so this year, they like to come to the mountain ash trees in my yard.
  6. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Already added a few with my Crosman
  7. Mark Juranek Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Believe the Northern Flicker is protected, they are a pain in the ass having destroyed several trees in my yard.
  8. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    Yes, they are protected and do migrate somewhat. Mostly from higher elevations to warmer lower areas. They can be pest though. We woke up one morning to a loud resonating sound coming from our bedroom wall. It was a flicker pounding his beak on the metal chimney portion up on the roof. Not sure what he was looking for there but it was loud.
  9. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +241 / 0
    Hi Steve,
    Flickers pound on resonating objects to attract mates and to establish territory. Metal roofs/chimneys make a great racket - just what the flicker was going for.

I am surprised to hear of tree damage from flickers. They aren't the most assiduous woodpeckers for digging into trees - pretty superficial in general. The master diggers are pileated woodpeckers; when they are really working at a tree, chunks go flying. A potential pest among the woodpeckers would be sapsuckers who drills a series of holes in the trees to collect sap and to trap/attract insects for the sapsuckers to eat.

Steve
  10. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    I have a lot of flickers around my place,Red Shafted, some Yellow Shafted and once in a while a cross between the two. They seem to spend more time on the ground than in my fruit trees, but come spring they do love the metal around my house and garage.:D A Pileated comes to my suet feeders once in a while, they sure put a hurt on the suet.:eek:
  11. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +241 / 0
    Before the development of the Great Plains into amber waves of corn..., a number of similar bird species had eastern and western forms. Red-shafted woodpeckers were the western form and yellow-shafted woodpeckers were the eastern form (and the source of a classic North Carolina fly pattern, the yallerhammer, see http://www.beaucatcher.com/Yallerhammer.html). The hypothesis is cross-continental distributions of these species were divided once the weather shifted to created the dry conditions that favored the grasses of the Great Plains. During the time when the two populations were isolated, they evolved independently and acquired different characteristics.

The development of the metal plow and large-scale farming actually resulted in extensive tree-planting in the midwest as windblocks. Eastern and western forms expanded their range and in many places, overlapped. In some cases, enough differences had occurred that the species remained separate (no/little gene flow) and the decision was made to consider them separate species (for example, eastern and western meadowlark). In other cases, the two populations interbred and significant gene exchange occurs. In this case, the two populations because subspecies of a newly-named species. When I started birding 30+ years ago, the yellow-shafted and red-shafted flickers were considered separate species because of the color differences and geographic separation; now, they are subspecies of the northern flicker.

Of course, we see similar issues among various subspecies of cutthroat trout and also between rainbow trout and cutthroat trout, especially between areas where both are native and areas where one has been introduced into the formerly exclusive range of the other.

Steve
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,776 / 0
    From the backyard a week or so ago. This guy likes to pick at my metal shop building in the spring. Noisy bastard.

[IMG]
  13. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Nice Shot Kerry