NRX or Zenith?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Ryan Bradfield Member

Ratings: +13 / 0
    Looking at the 9ft 4wt of both the hardy and loomis.
    I can only buy one...
    Any suggestions?
  2. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    Have you tried them out? I'm sure both are nice. I've heard the Zenith is a very smooth medium fast and the NRX is a fast action beast. They are probably different enough that you need more than a forum to decide between the two. There are a lot of expensive rods out there, pick the one you like best.
  3. Ryan Bradfield Member

i have tried both out and like them equally...bit of a conundrum.
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  4. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    I'm no help on the rods Ryan, but am still curious as hell about that little Euro' kingfisher in your hands -
    - must be a story there?
  5. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    NRX as long as its gray\blue.
    Darthmonkey and formerguide like this.
  6. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    I feel like the Loomis is a safer investment being USA vs Korea (Korean rods are great but USA wins). And the ugly blue wraps are pretty awesome if you ask me.
    Kcahill likes this.
  7. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Are you talking about the NRX LP or the standard?

I was shopping for a rod in that weight range recently and ended up coming home with the NRX because the way it cast for me and I felt it had the backbone to do what I wanted to do (throw bobbers with a light rod).

But a close runner up was the Burkheimer Classic and if you are in the Seattle area you should try one out (PSFCo has one in the shop).

KC
  8. Ryan Bradfield Member

Hi kcahill
    Im referring to the standard NRX
    Also why do you say the blue wraps and not the newer green wrap?
  9. Ryan Bradfield Member

Hi Greg
    Its a malachite kingfisher,i live in south africa.
    I was tying flies in my cabin and heard a thud at my window,the bird stunned itself.I held it for about 20 min in my hand until it recovered and flew off.
    Magnificent bird this!so glad it happened to me.
  10. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA

I just prefer the blue\gray though one of mine is green and I guess its not to bad.
  11. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0
    have you fished either one? I found out I like the 7wt NRX better on the water than in the parking lot when the ONE I had bought broke on z long trip.
  12. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +123 / 1
    They are both great rods. I really like the action of the Zenith's. They were on closeout because they changed the reel seat. If you can still find one at the closeout price that would break the tie for me.
    Old406Kid likes this.
  13. Red Arch Active Member

Lower Mainland or Interior of BC
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    The zenith is a tough rod, just for a baseline hardy tests each rod series in a blank bender. Well the zenith in a 7 wt did not snap after ten runs to 32 newtons of force. Apparently most blanks break at 18 newtons. Btw if you really go into that Korean=poor quality thing, im pulling q Yellowstone anglers line: which brand car do you drive?

However I personally prefer buying North American.
  14. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    The NRX is a rocket man loved mine.
  15. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    A closer comparison would the 4wt Zenith and 4wt Scott Radian. I have the Radian 905 and love it. It replaced a Zenith 905 which was also great, but after trying the Radian, I was sold on its amazing feel and accuracy at all distances. Nothing wrong with the Zenith on either score, but the Radian is just unbelievable (IMO, YMMMV, etc.). Having said that, a Zenith on closeout would be half the price of a Radian. Hard to pass that up.
  16. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +123 / 1
    I agree 100%. There is a very good chance I would be fishing a 4wt Radian if the Zenith hadn't gone on closeout.
  17. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +238 / 0
    ditto

I cast both of these, and they both cast great, but I ended up buying the Sage One, because it felt like it was made for me.

I'm a firm believer that you should cast them all and decide which one is best for you. But I tend to lean towards a rod built in the US, all other things being equal.
  18. throssing Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    I have the 9' 4 wt models of both the Zenith and the NRX LP. I love them both, but they are quite different, and serve different purposes for me. The NRX LP feels more delicate and is more of a finesse rod, suited for small and medium dry flies (per the Loomis website). The Zenith is more muscular and handles multi-fly rigs, nymph rigs, and streamers better.