Nymphing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chadk, Jul 29, 2002.

1. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I don't do a lot on nymphing (I prefer dries or woolly buggers), but I thought I'd try it out again this weekend.

Here's the setup I tried that I thought I'd pass on. If you don't mind using a strike indicator, read on - if you think that's not flyfishing - then you better turn back now...

Tapered leader (about 5 or 6 ft) with a loop on the end
    For tippet - about 3 ft of Maxum UG (need to try floro..) with a loop to join to the leader

Strike indicator = small steelhead 'bobber' (like drift fishers use with yarn...)

you can use it as is (use a tooth pick to hold it in place)
    or
    run your leader through it about 10 inches, then come back down through it leaving a loop. In the loop, place an inch or 2 of yarn. Pull the line tight. Add your tippet to the end of the leader. This lets your fly hang at more of a 90 degree angle. And to adjust your depth, you can just tug on the yarn and easily adjust the loop to you have longer or shorter leader from 'bobber' to fly.

or, if you like a true 90 degree angle from leader to fly.....

Drill a small hole in the steely bobber perpendicular to the original hole.

Run the leader (with loop already tied) through the original hole. If you have trouble getting the loop throught the hole, just take some tippet material, run it throuth the hole firsth, then run it through your leader loop, then back through the hole. Pull the leader loop back through using the tippet material as a guide...
    Now you have a 'bobber' on your leader with a loop sticking out the other side.
    Take your pre-looped tippet and connect the leader and tippet 'loop to loop'.
    Now run the end of the tippet through the drilled hole so that it comes out perpendicular to the leader. Pull snug and either let the knots from the loops hold the 'bobber' in place, or use a tooth pic.

This makes a perfect 90 degree nymphing system with a nice strike indicator.

I'm going to try this for dead drfting small flies summer steelhead ana fall salmon as well.

I know, it may sound more like float and jig fishing than true fly fishing, but it works well, and may be worth trying...

Also, I did this with a hairs ear nymph and a BH prince as a dropper. Worked great!
  2. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    For those who are wondering what the advantages of 90 degree nymphing with a strike indicator would be, let me try to explain...

First, nymphing works quite will without a strike indicator and without trying to get a 90 degree angle on your leader to tippet. Some will tell you they do better the more traditional way. You just have to watch the line closely and get familiar with the 'feel' of a take. This is very fun to do, so try it and compare technique to the one outlined above and see what one you like better...

Here are some things you might like about it:
    1) Strike indicator goes down - fish on... Very simple concept...
    2) Very visual indicator - you know where the end of your line is at all times
    3) depth control!! With the 90 degree method, you put your BH (bead head) fly 3 ft below your stike indicator, and you know that you are fishing 3ft down (plus or minus depedning on currents - but a lot better accuracy than just relying on a sink tip to get you 'down')
    4) No more sink tips for trout fishing in streams (maybe very big rivers with strong currents and very deep pools would be fished better with a heavy sink tip... or just try a bigger indicator, heavier fly, and longer leader\tippet...)

Note that some folks do the 90 degree method other ways (like tying your knots a certain way). This is just something I came up with this weekend that I really liked...

And finally, if you get your strike indicator blasted by a 12 inch trout the NF snoqualmie, and fishing with the nymphs has been slow - put the dry fly back on!! (this happened to me the other morning...)

Thoughts?
  3. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The hinged technique is what I use (post#2)

8" of butt section nail knotted to your flyline.(or perfection loop)
    Clinch knot the end to a fuzzy strike indicator. Store bought, available on every checkout counter as an impulse item.
    Clinch knot your tippet to the butt section. Hence the Hinge.
    Pick desired length by the depth of the river plus 6" - 12"
    Tie your weighted fly on.
    Tie on a smaller fly 4" - 6" behind the larger dropper style.
    Very easy to detect strikes and the fly goes straight down rather than be held back from the resistance of the taper. In other words, it's sink rate is dependant on the diameter of the tippet.

I am sure there are easier methods but this works if you tie perfection loops between your leader and butt section.