Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Occupy Skagit III

19K views 189 replies 31 participants last post by  gone johnson 
#1 · (Edited)
Occupy Skagit III

The last couple of springs we have gathered at Howard Miller Steelhead park in Rockport to show support for changing the management paradigm for wild Skagit Steelhead. Currently, all of Puget Sound Steelhead are considered by the ESA as one Distinct Population Segment (DPS) and as such are listed by them as threatened to become an endangered species.

The decision can be read here:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2007-05-11/pdf/E7-9089.pdf

The decision covers all of Puget Sound from the Elwah to the Canadian border, every piece of fresh water between these two points that dumps into the sound is affected by this listing. The health of each individual run is not considered on its own merit, but instead the entire area's steelhead are tainted with the aura of "nearing extinction". While this may be true of many streams affected by the listing it is not true for all of them - the Skagit in particular continues to return healthy escapement numbers. These numbers can be seen to be fluctuating up and down in what many consider to be it's carrying capacity zone.

Scientists can argue over the numbers, their validity and what they mean but here they are in ten year increments:

1978 - 5,757 (the first year that I can find for WDFW escapement numbers)
1983 - 7,732
1993 - 6,900
2003 - 6,818
2013 - 8,800
Last season, 2014, the escapement was 8900+
The projection for 2015 is 9130.

The goal of Occupy Skagit is to restore the Catch and Release Steelhead season on the Skagit that used to run for Feb 1 - April 30.

In order for this season to be granted by NOAA and NMFS, a basin specific Steelhead Management Plan agreed upon by all parties, WDFW and Tribes, needs to be submitted and approved.

Is it possible?
Very much so!

Is it being done?
Well, not exactly. Although the major stockholders are all in verbal agreement that a C&R season will not impact the future of the run, apparently, no one is spearheading a mangement plan. This has to be unacceptable! We started this conversation with them two years ago!

Our goal this time around is to get this Skagit Steelhead management plan officially started. We need to have a WDFW employee attached to this plan. And we need it to happen now.

There is a new director in Olympia, and he needs to hear from Occupy Skagit. Send him and the Commissioners an email.Ask them who is in charge of writing the management plan and how to contact them/him about its progress. If you know how to contact any of the Commissioners personally, ask them the same questions. Push, push, push. Email: commission@dfw.wa.gov
Commission Website: http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/
We've never pushed an email campaign before but I think we need to now. Having met the commissioners several times, I know that a hand written letter to them will also go a long ways. Take five minutes out of your day and communicate with these officials.

The Commission hearing from you is the single most important thing you can do at this point.

There are two events scheduled; Rockport is fun, but the real deal is in Olympia.

Occupy Skagit III - April 4th 2015
Howard Miller Steelhead Park in Rockport

Commissioners Meeting
Friday - April 10th
8:00 AM - Public Input
Capital Event Center
6005 Tyee Drive SW
Tumwater, WA 98512

Directions - http://waeventsctr.schoolwires.net/domain/97

See less See more
#21 ·
I sent an email inquiring as to whom has been appointed to the task of leading the management plan. I expressed my disapproval for the mishandling of this particular river system. That i was dissatisfied, and that current actions are unacceptable. I also added that I have never caught a wild skagit steelhead, mostly because the river is closed during the bulk of the run...and that I look forward to rectifying these problems together.

#25 ·
Another things folks can do to help is submit rule change proposals to the WDFW commission for a catch and release season February 1 to April 20 on the Sauk from mouth the Darrington Bridge; on the Skagit Februay 16 to Apeil 30 from the Bridge at Rockport to the Bridge at Marblemount; and also on the Skagit February 1 to April 30 from Dalles Bridge at Concrete to Rockport Bridge. That would be 3 different proposals since the WDFW website on this says you have to submit one for each different section of a river as found in the fishing regulations handbook.

Since WDFW is asking for proposed rule changes particularly regarding recreational fishing, this seems like another, very logical thing those of us who would like to see the catch and release in March and April return to the Skagit and Sauk. This would, in my opinion, let them know there is support for this since most folks don't bother submitting proposals. Proposals have to be in by March 31st. And yes, I've already sent mine in.

#28 ·
I received a return email from Robert Leland, It read as follows; Mr. Eidson:

I’m Bob Leland, Steelhead Program Manager for WDFW, the Fish and Wildlife Commission has asked me to respond to your email requesting an update on the Skagit River Resource Management Plan (RMP) development process. An approved RMP would allow directed fisheries on the wild winter steelhead which are currently listed under the ESA.

Please send me you telephone number. I would like to discuss the matter at a time that best works for you.

Thanks!

bl

#29 ·
Here is the rule proposal I filled out on March 4th. Basically it is a re-write of the C&R season as I remember it in it's last version.

At this point, in this thread, it would serve no purpose but to dilute the message of Occupy Skagit, to argue about the contents of any rules proposals. However, another topic can be started...and it would be interesting to hear other thoughts on the season.

Attachments

#33 ·
I had a wonderful conversation regarding the occupy skagit movement, and Wild steelhead management thus morning with Mr bob Leland. He is the steelhead program manager for wdfw. He encouraged me to save his phone number and email address for any further questions regarding the skagit and Sauk river watersheds...so I guess I will do one better...I encourage anyone and everyone to call him, email him. It seems as though the skagit situation is not a priority, he did agree that the skagit system is in a league if it's own so to speak, and that it could without a doubt support a catch and release spring fishery similar to what it has had in the past. I encourage everyone to give him a call, send him an email. Please be courteous, respectful and expect an intelligent conversation. Here are his contacts : Robert.Leland@dfw.wa.gov
Phone number ; 253-254-0003

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.