Occupy Skagit

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by _WW_, May 19, 2012.

1. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    I won't break the law but I plan on spending some time on the water this spring. I will be taking pictures of runs and posting them on the site to keep the Skagit fresh in people's minds. Hopefully when people see shots of classic Skagit steelhead runs in the prime of the year they will be reminded that we should be fishing. The Skagit and Sauk are amoung the most beautiful rivers in Washington in the springtime.
    Eric Tarcha and JesseCFowl like this.
  2. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +653 / 0
    If folks are not wed to the 20th of April I have something to consider.

I see the Wildlife Commission is meeting on April 12 and 13th in Olympia. If we truly want to raise the plight of the Skagit and its steelhead (as well as the rest of Puget sound) I'm suggesting that a significant showing at the Commission as meeting well as testimony during the periods that testimony is take might be chance to be a real postive force on behalf of the resource as well as our interests.

Depedning on the Commission agenda and when the periods for open testimony are folks could either meet on the river the weekend before and attend the commission the following weekend or if things align correctly do the river on Saturday and the commission on Sunday.

It would be powerful if we had T-shirts made for the day on the river and then had a packed house at the Commission all decked out in those same T-shirts. Couple that with coordinated testimony we would have a chance of getting our thoughts/concerns in front of those that can make a difference. Of course I for see the need for some strategy planning meetings at some watering hole. Just meeting and spending time with some of the folks here would be of value just in itself.

Anyway just thinking out loud here.

curt
    PT likes this.
  3. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0

There is our slogan!

I'm in. I could use the practice, and there is a couch I can use in Renton while participating.
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    We need a logo.
  5. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Curt, I think there is room for both!
    The Commission meeting the weekend of the 12th and the Occupy on the 20th.
  6. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I'm in. Carpool anyone?
  7. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I'm wit ya...:)
    Might need to stay the weekend tho...
  8. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +653 / 0
    WW -
    I agree there is room for both!

In thinking aloud I thought having the river event first would allow for the building of momentum for the Commission meeting. Also I'm assuming that the river event would likely be more heavily attended and those going to the commission meeting could pass themselves as representing the larger group. Either order works for me.

Kerry -car pooling makes sense.

With the recent election and now this I'm having "flashbacks" to my youth in the .

Curt
  9. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    great idea including the commission meeting. i am down for both as the impact of the puget sound closures have impacts throughout western washington and an open season with strict c&r regs would not only bring money into the local economy but keep the history of these rivers fresh and create the next generation of people willing to fight for wild steelhead.

chris
  10. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I haven't finished reading through this thread. I love this idea, though, and have one thought.

In response to the fact that the WDFW is required to "maintain" economic well-being of commercial fishers--what if everyone who showed up to "Occupy" the Skagit also brought with them a quick run-down of all the money they've spent for that trip (on waders, flies, fly materials, rods, food, line, clothes, etc.) and where they've spent that money? We could have a quick run-down, on the river, that shows our economic impact, and tie those numbers to the people actually on the river in that moment. If done right, it seems like it could be a pretty powerful statement. Just a thought.

Jason
  11. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Also,

Just checked and occupyskagit.com is available to anyone wanting to maybe lock it down. I'd do it, but I know nothing about creating and maintaining websites.

Also, if there is a desire to create visibility and cohesiveness re: shirts/clothing, it might make sense to have shirts for the event in Olympia, and easily recognizable hats for the Occupy on the river, as folks might cover up shirts with waders and coats.

I think this is great. I've never fished the Skagit, though it "occupies" a special place in my dreams of steelhead fishing. Even if this proves to be my first chance to "fish" the Skagit, I look forward to it.

Jason
  12. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    If the hippies can organize themselves and change the law to allow them to smoke weed in Washington, we should be able to organize ourselves in order to legalize Catch and release fishing on the Skagit. Just saying :)
  13. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Does this include the Sauk as well as the Skagit. Hell...I wouldn't mind spending a day swinging (with no fly on the end of my line, of course) the run below the mouth of the Suiattle, in plain site of everyone driving past on Highway 530.

Regards,

Andrew
  14. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    This is what I think should be shown to the media etc. A bunch of guys loving the Skagit and it's runs so much, that they are willing to stand in it's beautiful runs and swing flies with no hooks attached. Then have the slogan (I think WW came up with) about how we can pretend to fish for spring steelhead just like the WDFW can pretend to manage the steelhead in the rivers.

30 -50 guys lined up close together swinging flies in a bunch of runs would look pretty awesome, and would get some attention. Just brain storming here :)
  15. Blktailhunter Active Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Mic check, Mic check. Hate to burst you bubble, but yes they are.
  16. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    Check out Occupy Skagit on FaceBook and Like the Page - its under construction a bit but its a start - Kerry I need a real good cover Photo for the page - your the man for that. Thank you
  17. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    I don't give a fuck about who did what in the Occupy Movement - I will gladly show who I am and what this cause stands for!!!
  18. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Chris, I have always liked this one, let me know if this is what you are looking for. If not give me an idea of what you want in an image. Also I aquired the domain "occupyskagit.com" this afternoon.
    [IMG]
  19. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    Thanks Kerry - I got a few things up on FB now - Love that VIEW!!!
  20. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Chris, I have a better version of the image I will send to you for facebook.